Driver Air Vent

fizgig1

Hello Everyone,

Whilst I was replacing trim I noticed that my drivers side air vent was lose, and that there was a bit of "goo" around the top join presumable melted a little during the hot weather whilst the car wasn't in use. Anyway I pulled it out and found it was held in place with some kind of none sticky/sticky putty!?

So two questions -

1 - Are there clips missing/broken from the unit that hold it in, or is the aperture in the dash simply too wide for some reason possibly from a previous owner bodge job?

2 - Any idea what this sticky/ not sticky putty is called and where I can buy some?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0098.jpeg
    IMG_0098.jpeg
    72 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_0099.jpeg
    IMG_0099.jpeg
    75.1 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_0100.jpeg
    IMG_0100.jpeg
    71.6 KB · Views: 194
Sadly it appears that your plastic clips have snapped off and that the vent has been "glued" back in place. I would contact one of our resident parts suppliers and buy a good condition second hand one to replace it. I dont believe they are that expensive.

Cheers
Dave.

Hello Everyone,

Whilst I was replacing trim I noticed that my drivers side air vent was lose, and that there was a bit of "goo" around the top join presumable melted a little during the hot weather whilst the car wasn't in use. Anyway I pulled it out and found it was held in place with some kind of none sticky/sticky putty!?

So two questions -

1 - Are there clips missing/broken from the unit that hold it in, or is the aperture in the dash simply too wide for some reason possibly from a previous owner bodge job?

2 - Any idea what this sticky/ not sticky putty is called and where I can buy some?

Thanks
The sticky stuff is a bodge, the vent is held in place by 4 'gorilla'clips, that you are missing. It is likely that are behind the lower trim panels and can easily be superglued back on, have a look. Otherwise suggest you ask A2Steve for clips or replacement, usually around £15.

Andy

Edit. I now see Dave was typing at the same time.

It's very difficult if not impossible to get vents out complete with all clips - even from behind with the entire dashboard out! The fun bit is retrieving the clips that have come off before they fall down inside the dash or the air pipes etc.

Last edited:
Yep, got one here for £15 plus £3.62 postage. Passenger side ones are £10 as they are more commonly available.

Back