Drl ignition live

The rear of the main lighting switch has a location marked "DFL". That is the correct output for DRL's. It is live when your other lights are off and doesn't have a feed when the lights are on, so there is no conflict with the side/dip/main lights. You will find that there isn't a matching pin for the "DFL" output in the connecting plug, so you'll have to insert one. I've done all this and it works perfectly.

David

Pop out and drl connection there? Run wires to lights and bingo!

I's mighty tough to get that switch out .... certainly not "pop-out"! You'll have to figure it out and assist it from the rear! Taking the feed-wire into the engine bay is difficult, too .... take it over to the passenger side foot-well and then into the area above the wheel, after removing the splash-guard. Take the wire through at high level, near the top of the suspension-strut. Quite a bit of work! THEN it might be "Bingo"!

David

headlight switch is always teh same. halfway between o and sidelights, push the selector and it will pop out. Anything else and you're doing it wrong.

- Bret

Wow, wasn't that easy! Thanks, Bret!I wish that there was a similar video regarding removal of the dash ... I can't say that I'm looking forward to that!

David

Last edited:
If you didn't want to go the switch route you could do something like this this. It is in German so will need a bit of translation.

Basically, the guy finds an ignition switched feed on the headlight (red/green) and uses this to run his DRLs. I don't know what the red/green is. Maybe the height adjuster? The other end is connected directly to earth. Obviously, you'd want inline fuses for this.

http://www.motor-talk.de/forum/aktion/Attachment.html?attachmentId=688121

Edit and here is an in-depth Howto:

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?28801-OSRAM-LEDriving-FOG-DRL-install

Chris

Last edited:
urgh, that motor talk howto is awful :(

Duct tape, drilling holes in the wiper motor, using random power cables in teh engine bay... and those scotchloks, which are going to fail after a couple of years.

Do it once, do it right, you won't have to worry about it again.

- Bret

Last edited:
Do it once, do it right, you won't have to worry about it again.

- Bret

That's exactly what I have been suggesting and the method that I have used. I have even inserted an extra pin that was in an unused location in the headlamp plug/socket , to enable the feed to the DRL's inside the headlight. All wiring is sheathed in fabric tape and routed neatly. Yes, do it right, that's the only way!

David

The rear of the main lighting switch has a location marked "DFL". That is the correct output for DRL's. It is live when your other lights are off and doesn't have a feed when the lights are on, so there is no conflict with the side/dip/main lights. You will find that there isn't a matching pin for the "DFL" output in the connecting plug, so you'll have to insert one. I've done all this and it works perfectly.

David
Bit of thread resurrection coming up:
@DJ 190 which pin does the new DRL cable connect to, and what is the part number/description for the pin itself please?
Mac.

I think DRL/TFL is on pin 3 of the connector, this from another old thread.
Is the pin a simple 2.8mm female spade, and does it fit the shell?
Mac.

I think that I've said it all there and it's difficult to see what I can add? What didn't you understand? There's a plug that connects to the main light switch. It has a location marked "DFL" It's from there that you need to take your DRL live feed. There isn't a pin there, though, so you need to insert a new one into the plug so that the connection can be made.

David

Back