Droplinks and ARB bushes

Picky2228

Just had the droplinks and arb bushes replaced on my 2004 Tdi SE. The difference is unbelievable even though I wasn’t sure they needed doing. Steering now feels like that on a new car - carried out by Tamworth Engines who were refreshingly only too aware of the caution needed when jacking the car up etc and all the little quirks. Also replaced rear brake shoes. So pleased!

Just had the droplinks and arb bushes replaced on my 2004 Tdi SE. The difference is unbelievable even though I wasn’t sure they needed doing. Steering now feels like that on a new car - carried out by Tamworth Engines who were refreshingly only too aware of the caution needed when jacking the car up etc and all the little quirks. Also replaced rear brake shoes. So pleased!
What is the issue with jacking the car up?

What is the issue with jacking the car up?
Anywhere that doesn't know about the hard points can put the lift's jacking feet onto the non-structural floorpan elements and then press "go", putting a dent into the underfloor space under the front seats / rear footwells and in some cases cracking the sill below the in-sill jacking point cover. When looking at new-to-you cars the cracked front sill is a clear sign of it - and if not, looking behind the front wheel arches will often make a dented floor visible.

Anywhere that doesn't know about the hard points can put the lift's jacking feet onto the non-structural floorpan elements and then press "go", putting a dent into the underfloor space under the front seats / rear footwells and in some cases cracking the sill below the in-sill jacking point cover. When looking at new-to-you cars the cracked front sill is a clear sign of it - and if not, looking behind the front wheel arches will often make a dented floor visible.
The major issue with this is that the well bellow the passenger footwell is packed with electrics so a hole punched through that floor can be catastrophic for a car if not sorted properly. One careless bit of jacking cab literally write off an A2 in the most extreme examples.

Hmm, the jacking points are pretty obvious in my eyes but fair enough. In fairness some previous owner has clearly jacked it up wrongly on my car so must be a common mistake.

Hmm, the jacking points are pretty obvious in my eyes but fair enough. In fairness some previous owner has clearly jacked it up wrongly on my car so must be a common mistake.
I painted them yellow, and repaint them before every garage visit.

The manager at my preferred garage MOT tests my A2 himself, he doesn't let his regular testers near it. He understands the risk.

My first A2 was bent by Audi while still under warranty. They lifted it under the B post. The car I have now was a bargain replacement at the suggestion of the service manager.

Be very careful you only allow your A2 to be lifted by somebody who knows what they are doing.

I painted them yellow, and repaint them before every garage visit.

The manager at my preferred garage MOT tests my A2 himself, he doesn't let his regular testers near it. He understands the risk.

My first A2 was bent by Audi while still under warranty. They lifted it under the B post. The car I have now was a bargain replacement at the suggestion of the service manager.

Be very careful you only allow your A2 to be lifted by somebody who knows what they are doing.
The only person that lifts my car is me :D

Back