E10 Petrol

jimonskye

Fuel stations to switch to E10 petrol in September: Arrival of the greener fuel will increase prices and can cause catastrophic damage to classic vehicles and cars built as recently as the early 2000s. Does anyone know how this will affect A2s ?

Many FSI owners do not run their cars on Super Unleaded, due to it;s higher coat, I don't see them changing to Super Unleaded with the introduction of E10.

However, it is reported (but not, necessarily true) that the price of E10 Unleaded will be higher than the current E5 Unleaded. If so,,then the difference between Unleaded and Super Unleaded may narrow.

Mac.
(FSI + Shell VPower E5).

Last edited by a moderator:
"Catastrophic damage to classic vehicles?" Nonsense! Anybody remember Cleveland Discol? Probably not! You might perhaps think that ethanol in petrol is a recent innovation? No!

RAB
@RAB Now you mention it, I remember Cleveland Discol too. I was
always a Shell 5* man myself, skimming the heads of Villiers 2 strokes, and moving the spark plug to the centre, even twin plugs. Those were the days... maybe...
Mac.

@RAB Now you mention it, I remember Cleveland Discol too. I was
always a Shell 5* man myself, skimming the heads of Villiers 2 strokes, and moving the spark plug to the centre, even twin plugs. Those were the days... maybe...
Mac.
Ah, but is that because you worked for Shell, by any chance?

RAB

My first full-time job was with BAC (but British Aircraft Corporation, same company eventually) at Weybridge, at the time when Barnes-Wallis still worked and the Concorde forward fuselage section was built. My mother worked there during WWII.

RAB

As I understand Super Unleaded and E10 are very different.
E10 has to have bioethanol (renewable fuel), this is a rison to introduce E10. So, the bigest problem for old engins is a corrosive property of bioethanol.
Regards.

So, the bigest problem for old engins is a corrosive property of bioethanol.

A myth propagated by US Oil. If it was corrosive, it wouldn't have been used for so long as a motor fuel (but not for so long in the USA!). Water in ethanol (which shouldn't be there) might be a problem though.

RAB

E10 fuel has been available for at least 8 years in Germany. The number of engine issues attributable to it is zero. FSIs are to be run on 98 fuel, that one is clear.

The headlines are clickbait with editors looking for something to get scared about that's not COVID or Brexit.
Yes it is avalible in Germany since 2011, but E10 is only ~11% of Germany petrol market.

you may also like this one, talking very specifically about this market here: https://www.zemo.org.uk/assets/other/E10 in Finland.pdf

differences in consumption (see slide 12) of around 1%.
E85 is even more aggressive and that's common over the water in Sweden.
We can also look at this one and go "hmm": https://www.epure.org/about-ethanol/fuel-market/fuel-blends/

75% of the petrol market is massive in this country, considering that 30k kms per year is "low mileage" and a 15 year old, 300 thousand km+ E class is still worth €8k: https://saka.fi/fi/vaihtoauto/mercedes-benz-e-176289/

Germans love their diesels and do reasonable mileage in them, but the market was 40% diesel until not so long ago and I suspect that diesel cars account for 60-75% of driven kilometers.

Sorry for the thread swerve, but noted the comments about Concorde. Believe it or not it is 18 years today it was retired from service. Missed working on it.

Thanks so much for this reply! My mind is now at rest and will bee able to buzz around again!
Thank care and keep safe.

Back