EGR Valve Diagnostics.....How Much ?

mycxc00

Since i bought my second hand Audi A2 TDI se I've been experiencing the now famous Mooing noise coming from the engine. Thanks to this forum it would appear that the cause is the EGR valve that is causing the problem. I rang my local Audi Dealer in York and asked them if they would have a look at it and correct the fault, they informed me that there would be a charge of £88 for the pleasure of diagnosing the fault and a further undissclosed charge for the work to be carried out. Does anybody know how I can get the work carried out cheaper than this ?. I guess the car is out of warrenty as its a 2001 Y reg and it done 49,000 miles. The service record is upto date. York Audi were not even interested in discussing the fault and denided that it was a common fault with the A2.

Hi

Not another EGR valve gone!!

If you wanted to keep it in the VAG group you could give VW a ring, i'm sure the hourly rate is cheaper. I think they are lying about it being a common fault although i haven't had it changed on the A2, my Beetle has had enough of them.

I just replaced my A2 (with an older '02 one), and it moos. I got it "cured" under the Audi second hand warranty.

However, it's not really cured. Just a bit quieter. What they actually did was replace the long rubber tube involved with one that doesn't have steps in it, since the tube acts as a resonator, apparently. They also have increased the idle speed, probably meaning the EGR valve is permanently open.

All in all, I'm not very impressed. The "cure" seems a bit naughty to me. I would accept them saying I'd have to pay for an actual EGR valve replacement. But I didn't get that option - just a statement that they would fix it.

I'd be interested to know what, precisely, anyone else has had done, how much it cost, and whether it worked.

ANd what's the correct idle rpm for an A2? (All I know is it's faster now).

The fix that the VAG workshop manuals (EKTA) describe - and which we had done - was the fitting of some rubber isolating feet under the EGR valve body, where it bolts to the bodywork. I cant remember the costs exactly, but our tame mechanic did think that the bits of rubber were disgracefully expensive for what they are!

I must say that this only quietened the noise and did not remove it completely. However, we didn't change any pipes.... Perhaps that would have helped as well!

If you want to wait till tomorrow, I'll look at the bill in the file at home.

Now I've had my "cure" a couple of weeks, I'm actually quite happy with it, and have forgotten about moo-ing sounds. I can't remember exactly what to listen for any more, so even if there is a residual mooette, I don't notice it.

Back