EGR valve

Vic

Now it is EGR part number 045131501D but there can be some leakage. 1.4 TDI (75) AMF

IMG_0813.JPGIMG_0814.JPG

Question is will fit EGR valve 045131501C? Because it is twice cheaper than D version.

Last edited:
Why are you wanting to change the EGR valve ?
Just remove the vacuum pipe and it will be disconnected

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are the advantages/disadvantages disconnecting EGR?

I heard that can be longer until car gets warm? It is imortant for cold winters (average temp in winter is -5 °C but sometimes can be even up to -30 °C).

What are the advantages/disadvantages disconnecting EGR?

I heard that can be longer until car gets warm? It is imortant for cold winters (average temp in winter is -5 °C but sometimes can be even up to -30 °C).

Only the bhc & latter engines are helped in warmup by the egr because on these engines the egr pipe is water cooled and as such the exhaust heat help to warm up the engine coolant
This is not the case on the amf engine
Not having the egr in operation means that there is no hot exhaust gases mixing with the cold air from the inter cooler and also no crap from the exhaust is entering the inlet manifold
I
Always have my egr disconnected

Cheers Paul

Hi vic
I can’t remember if Otis pipe 3 or 2
One is the egr valve the other the anti shudder valve
Yes just pull the pipe off and plug it with something a 5mm bolt is the right size
If when you have done this the car engine does not stop sharply when you turn it off then you have done the wrong pipe
Cheers Paul

It's pipe number 3 on your diagram that operates the EGR valve.
As Paul suggests, just pull the rubber tubing off the valve and block the tube with a bolt or something similar.

My understanding of EGR technology is for emissions control. By feeding oxygen-depleted gas back into the combustion chamber you keep the combustion temperatures down and hence limit the NOx produced. This is why I’m a little uneasy about re-maps. It’s bad enough driving old diesels, but to deliberately (or at least complicitly) increase the NOx output is wanton, to say the least (stick, hornets’ nest, vigorous stir)

The benefits of egr on Diesel engines starts to drop away around 30,000 miles and as gone by 50,000 miles
There is a trade off between nox and particular matter The egr always increases particular matter and in that it will not reduce nox On the A2 due to mileage I see no point in it on the A2

Reactions: Tsu
So am I correct in stating that if one was to remove and blank off the tube would there be any sort of warning light appear on the dash?

The benefits of egr on Diesel engines starts to drop away around 30,000 miles and as gone by 50,000 miles
There is a trade off between nox and particular matter The egr always increases particular matter and in that it will not reduce nox On the A2 due to mileage I see no point in it on the A2

Why does the benedit drops off at high milage?

Use of EGR creates more particles; thats why they added DPF on later cars. With DPF comes regeneration, and that uses additional fuel (i.e even more Co2, NOx, particles etc) but also contaminate your engine oil. So the whole thing is quite stupid.

As the engine starts to burn a slight amount of oil and the exhaust as coated the inlet manifold with crap the benefits drop off

So am I correct in stating that if one was to remove and blank off the tube would there be any sort of warning light appear on the dash?

With the amf engine there will be no mil light without the egr in place
With the euro4 engines bhc and tdi90 then yes the mil light will be thrown up

Yes it does make the egr such that it never opens
However the egr valve still needs to be in place on the car ( but the map will never open it)

Use of EGR creates more particles; thats why they added DPF on later cars. With DPF comes regeneration, and that uses additional fuel (i.e even more Co2, NOx, particles etc) but also contaminate your engine oil. So the whole thing is quite stupid.

Certainly not true for NOx since the whole point of EGR is to reduce it. Disabling EGR for road use is illegal as your vehicle won't meet its emission requirements.

RAB

Certainly not true for NOx since the whole point of EGR is to reduce it. Disabling EGR for road use is illegal as your vehicle won't meet its emission requirements.

RAB

In theory yes but in practice the EGR becomes less affective at NOx reduction as engine mileage increases. As cars are only tested when new to check that they comply with the euro 3 / 4 etc standards they pass, but if the same engine was to be checked at say 50k miles the NOx will have increased due to the lack of effectiveness of the EGR plus general engine wear
If you replace or clean the EGR and the inlet manifold etc then the NOx will drop as the EGR will be more effective. It will not drop to the original levels when the engine was new
however the EGR will always increase particulate matter so by disabling the EGR the particulate matter will be reduced (this is what the mot tests for) and the NOx will not be increased because the EGR and I let manifold are already coated in crap

This is my take on the EGR after a lot of reading some years ago.
90 % of NOx is created by domestic combi boilers anyway so if I can reduce particulate matter then I'm doing what I can to run a cleaner engine. Plus the fact that I'm burning very little fuel at 65 to 70 mpg and not using massive amounts of resources and energy to manufacture a new car that will be little better if not worse in terms of pollution
Cheers Paul

RAB

Yes, EGR is to reduce NOx and it is illegal to disable it. However, EGR has the drawback to produce more particles, so pick your poison. Do you want NOx or particles? On later cars, Euro4L, they added DPF to stop the particles. But the DPF needs to be regenerated regularly to avoid getting clogged. Regeneration uses additional fuel which again is bad (also pollutes) and in addition some of the fuel (post-injection) also ends up in the oil sump. Diesel in your engine oil is no good. On Euro5 and 6 they added SCR/Adblue but this also need maintenance, and people seem to focus only on the mpg but forgetting the money spent to top up the adblue tank.

On later cars, Euro4L, they added DPF to stop the particles. But the DPF needs to be regenerated regularly to avoid getting clogged. Regeneration uses additional fuel which again is bad (also pollutes) and in addition some of the fuel (post-injection) also ends up in the oil sump. Diesel in your engine oil is no good. On Euro5 and 6 they added SCR/Adblue but this also need maintenance, and people seem to focus only on the mpg but forgetting the money spent to top up the adblue tank.

I think you mean Euro 5. There are diesel A2's that meet Euro 4 (ANY, BHC & ATL) and they don't have DPF's. Any evidence for this being a cause of neat diesel getting into the sump? Very doubtful indeed!

Deleting EGR is illegal for road use and you can be fined up to £1,000 I believe.

RAB

Back