Electric window stopped working

Passenger window stopped working to day any ideas neil 07973266912 thks

Does it work from the passenger window switch on the Driver's door?
If not then the problem is likely to be in the loom of the passenger door, if it works from the driver's side then it could be hthe switch or switch loom on the passenger door.

Steve B

lol @ neil....now thats what i call a direct advert for not being specific.

want an answer phone cammy 01236 1234567 ;)

i was expecting a wee joke from you steve on this post lol

i would also concur with steve on his answer...this will save you a headache and money by doing this first :)

cammy

Neil...has battery been off recently?
The modules that control each door can go out of sync and lock up.
They need to be unplugged and replugged in to get them back in sync.
10 minute job if you know what to do.
In my experience this cause is more common than actual loom faults.
As Steve says though, be a bit more descriptive in which windows work, with which switched AND tell us which switches are illuminated red and we can all offer more advice.

Believe me I had to bite my tongue !!!!

lol @ neil....now thats what i call a direct advert for not being specific.

Be nice to the noobs guys! :p

Hi Neil, welcome to the forum. It's probably best to avoid such vague enquiry and posting your phone number. I'm not sure whether you may have been in a predicament with a window stuck open and looking for an urgent help - its impossible to tell from your post. Hopefully the advice from Steve and Conrad will assist you.

Last edited:
Doesn't work from any switch thks n

Thanks for all your replies I'm hopeless with cars but a friend is going to look ay it this morning. Had to leave it in London with binliner and Sellotape ........ Same thing. Happened last year on my a4 convertible (wires snapped). Seems this is electrical thks. For all your. Advise boys....... Let you know how I get on

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all your replies I'm hopeless with cars but a friend is going to look ay it this morning. Had to leave it in London with binliner and Sellotape ........ Same thing. Happened last year on my a4 convertible (wires snapped). Seems this is electrical thks. For all your. Advise boys....... Let you know how I get on

Hi

I hope it is just something minor like a loose plug in the door or a broken wire.

It doesn't found like an expensive problem.

If it was the control unit (CCCU) then I would have expected additional electrical problems with locking and alarm etc.

So you may be ok.

Good luck

Steve B

This happens to mine quite often. I have to disconnect the battery for say 10 minutes, and then once reconnected all is working fine again.

Regards

Steve is right that it won't be the central convenience unit (most unlikely), but the individual door modules can lose the plot. I have had this on both front doors and the only thing affected is the window action on the affected door (maybe a fail safe to prevent decapitated children?).
To fix on both occaisions all I had to do was unplug all four connectors on the bottom of the motor/unit. Leave it for 5 mins and then reconnect making sure that the main power connector is the FIRST one plugged in. Not sure that the 5 mins wait is essential, but it works for me.

Remove door panel, take multimeter, measure there is 12v going into the door module/window motor (in the big black connector at the end, the two thick wires brown (-12v) and Red next to it (+12v). If there IS 12v going into it, then it will be likely to be the module, if there isn't, then remove A pillar trim and measure 12v there at the multi connector, check connector is securely connected through A pillar connector.

A new Module is about £213.

Cheers
Sarge

Hi once again thks Door got stripped then supply got unplugged all got clipped. Back in ,,,,,,,, no expense at all ...... OWE MY MATE A DRINK 4 doing it !

Just wanted to say this thread of 2014 saved me the cost of going to a garage and more important saved me from having a car with a window stuck open during the rain - which was going to be a big hassle! Car battery probably low after a period of lockdown inactivity, but all has been well in the month since I fixed it. And dead proud of being able to do this repair myself! Many thanks @chb !

Back