Engine just fades and stops

Mr Pip

2001 A2 1.4 D. SE 90BHP Runs great then suddenly dies, takes forever to restart. Serviced the Turbo, injectors and fitted new fuel pump and all filter. All fuel OK

2001 A2 1.4 D. SE 90BHP Runs great then suddenly dies, takes forever to restart. Serviced the Turbo, injectors and fitted new fuel pump and all filter. All fuel OK
Maybe electrical, ave you checked Alternator, battery? Or could be lack of air perhaps. I'm sure someone will be on soon, sounds like it's be an obvious fix.

Maybe electrical, ave you checked Alternator, battery? Or could be lack of air perhaps. I'm sure someone will be on soon, sounds like it's be an obvious fix.
Hi ,
Have had a scan with VCDS ?
as this will almost certainly find the cause.
Hope that helps
Keith.

Sorry, couldn't help myself and created this :)

5hdypz.jpg

Anyway, maybe temp related? Suddenly dies and then takes forever to restart suggests something is out of range for the ECU and needs cooling down to start and starts from cold fine. A scan should find it though..... ;)

The symptoms are typical of a failing crankshaft speed sensor as they often give up the ghost when they get hot, then recover after cooling down.
Usually they don't flag any fault codes until they fail completely.

A faulty camshaft position sensor normally results in the engine taking several seconds to fire up, hot or cold. If it fails completely, the ECU uses the crankshaft sensor as a back up.

Cheers Spike

The symptoms are typical of a failing crankshaft speed sensor as they often give up the ghost when they get hot, then recover after cooling down.

A faulty camshaft position sensor normally results in the engine taking several seconds to fire up, hot or cold. If it fails completely, the ECU uses the crankshaft sensor as a back up.

Cheers Spike
Exactly what I came on to post ^^^

Recently diagnosed this on a 993, plus my 4/2 Cab had been through several garages and then abandoned under a tree with the same fault. Garages, it seems, don't have access to Google ?

5hdypz.jpg

Anyway, maybe temp related? Suddenly dies and then takes forever to restart suggests something is out of range for the ECU and needs cooling down to start and starts from cold fine. A scan should find it though..... ;)
Brilliant!

Exactly what I came on to post ^^^

Recently diagnosed this on a 993, plus my 4/2 Cab had been through several garages and then abandoned under a tree with the same fault. Garages, it seems, don't have access to Google ?
Ordered new sensors. front and back. £115. That's after spending £180 on a fuel pump. (Needed it after 250,000 miles, £80 on a turbo rebuild, and £140 on bits to service the injectors. Thanks very much, one and all.

Cheers Spike
Ordered new sensors. front and back. £115. That's after spending £180 on a fuel pump. (Needed it after 250,000 miles, £80 on a turbo rebuild, and £140 on bits to service the injectors. Thanks very much, one and all.

5hdypz.jpg

Back