Engine Management Light A2 TDi SE

SteveR

Hi, I'm a new memeber and have an 2001 Audi A2 Tdi SE waiting for me after paying a deposit for it last night. I can't imagine that I'll get a reply quick enough as I'm supposed to pick it up tonight but if someone sees this and knows the answer I would appreciate it.

When you turn the key the Enginie Management Light should come on and go out a few seconds later! Is this correct on a TDi or does the Tdi just have a coil light instead? I have called two Audi dealers and one says just a coil light and one says both lights should come on. I spoke to Audi Technical Support who said both lights. :rolleyes:

If anyone has a 2001 Tdi and can have a look at their dash or just knows the answer I would be very grateful, as don't wish to buy a car which is trouble right from the off.

Sorry for the ramble

My EML stays on untill the engine is ticking over. At least I think it does, I haven't waited for it to go out. But it is definitely on once the key is turned.

Thanks for the reply, sounds like it needs checking out before I take it on. What a joy! Have asked the guy seeling it to get a diagnostic done so I'll wait and see, thanks again for the comment.

Hi SteveR
Not sure if this is what you mean but I checked my 2001 TDi and when the ignition is first turned on, all the warning lights come on then some go off after a few seconds. As normal, the glow plug light timing can vary, depending on temperature. One thing I did not chech was if any lights come back on for a short time once the engine is started. The first pic show 'ignition on' and the next, a few seconds later

Cheers Spike

Hi Spike,

Thanks for the pictures that's amazingly helpful. I bought the car so am now part of the strange world of A2. Your car has no light either! The light I refer to is when lit kind of the shape of an engine with a fan at one end. Not sure if you know what I mean but anyway the car seems to be fine and everything works ok at present.

Still leaves me wondering if there shoudl be an EML light but maybe I don't need to know. As asking Audi directly didn't seem to shed much light on this perhaps no one really knows at all.

Thanks again

Steve

Hi Steve
I know what you mean now. TDi's dont have a seperate EML light because they use the glow plug light to flash up faults with the management system.

Cheers Spike

My car has an EML but it could be different since it's a 2005. Anyway, anything for the club. Here goes:

Pic 1: Almost immediately after ignition is turned on: The glow plug light is already off since the car wasn't cold. Every other light including EML is on. Notice the fuel gauge and compare it with pic 2.

Pic 2: A few seconds later. All lights except EML, battery and parking brake light is off.

Pic 3: Immediately after starting the engine. The EML went off while the starter motor was running. Notice that the rpm is slightly higher than pic 4.

Pic 4: A few seconds after engine start. All lights off except the parking brake light for obvious reasons.

My car has an EML but it could be different since it's a 2005. Anyway, anything for the club. Here goes:

Pic 1: Almost immediately after ignition is turned on: The glow plug light is already off since the car wasn't cold. Every other light including EML is on. Notice the fuel gauge and compare it with pic 2.

Pic 2: A few seconds later. All lights except EML, battery and parking brake light is off.

Pic 3: Immediately after starting the engine. The EML went off while the starter motor was running. Notice that the rpm is slightly higher than pic 4.

Pic 4: A few seconds after engine start. All lights off except the parking brake light for obvious reasons.

Exactly the same as mine.

Safety in numbers!

It's possible the EML light was added to later cars as the instrument cluster part numbers changed from chassis no 8Z-1-070 000.
Anyone else with an early car which does not have the 'engine' management light

Cheers Spike

It's possible the EML light was added to later cars as the instrument cluster part numbers changed from chassis no 8Z-1-070 000.
Anyone else with an early car which does not have the 'engine' management light

Cheers Spike

Hi Spike,

No EML light on my 2001 TDi 75.

John.

For some peace of mind

Reviving an old thread here.

I looked up a few TDI startup videos on YouTube. Some TDI's have the engine management light and others don't apparently. How do I know that the previous owner(s) didn't "blank out" the engine management light on my A2 (assuming it has one)?

Screen Shot 2017-11-29 at 19.11.21.png Screen Shot 2017-11-29 at 19.11.12.png Screen Shot 2017-11-29 at 19.10.58.png

Back