Engine Oil Light On

Hey Guys,

Hope you A2'ers are grand.

We serviced our 2002 Audi A2 1.4 TDI SE in Oct / Nov 2019 and now the Engine Oil Light has come on? I've checked the dipstick and it seems to be fine although it's black? Also the person who serviced it forgot to reset the Service meter.

Do I top it up and if so by how much please? Also does the Engine Oil light have something to do with the Service Counter not being reset so it thinks it needs Engine Oil when in actual fact it doesn't as it was serviced late last year?

Any thoughts please?

Thanks a bunch.

All

Hey Guys,

Hope you A2'ers are grand.

We serviced our 2002 Audi A2 1.4 TDI SE in Oct / Nov 2019 and now the Engine Oil Light has come on? I've checked the dipstick and it seems to be fine although it's black? Also the person who serviced it forgot to reset the Service meter.

Do I top it up and if so by how much please? Also does the Engine Oil light have something to do with the Service Counter not being reset so it thinks it needs Engine Oil when in actual fact it doesn't as it was serviced late last year?

Any thoughts please?

Thanks a bunch.

All

*Oct / Nov 2018 sorry

I think you just need to reset. Does it (!)beep(!) When you pop the key into the ignition?
If so, try this to reset the service light. If it's not this then another fellow member will be along to assist.?

Nice1 & good luck

Video courtesy of Conrad*

Last edited:
No, the red oil light should never come on when the engine is running. It MAY be the sender or wiring, in which case it is nothing to worry about, a new sender needs to be fitted, but if not and you drive it like this even a short distance you risk causing major damage.
To check the oil level, park on a flat level road and after the engine has been off for a few minutes, take out the dipstick, wipe it on a clean cloth, re-insert all the way then withdraw it and check to see the level.
Are you aware the end of the dipstick breaks off on the TDI so this may already have happened?
If the level is correct, don’t just add more, this can also cause damage.
All the best,
Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, the red oil light should never come on when the engine is running. It MAY be the sender or wiring, in which case it is nothing to worry about, a new sender needs to be fitted, but if not and you drive it like this even a short distance you risk causing major damage.
To check the oil level, park on a flat level road and after the engine has been off for a few minutes, take out the dipstick, wipe it on a clean cloth, re-insert all the way then withdraw it and check to see the level.
Are you aware the end of the dipstick breaks off on the TDI so this may already have happened?
If the level is correct, don’t just add more, this can also cause damage.
All the best,
Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you. All sorted now. It just needed topping up. Once again thank you.

All

Back