Erratic tick over 2004 1.6fsi

Neleus

Hello all, I wonder if anyone may be able to help me, please. Our A2 has begun to ' Hunt' when at tick over. The revs will rise, quite quickly to app 2000 then fall quite abruptly, it will then settle for a while before repeating the process. Otherwise starts and runs as normal, which is very good for 124,000 miles, and burning no oil between services. I've removed the air intake and cleaned, as best as one can without removing it entirely, with carb cleaner, the throttle flap housing, and poured some 'Wynn's' fuel system treatment in the tank, and for a while I thought I'd cured it, but after a few trips back it comes. Any ideas ?
Cheers.

Air leak in one of the hoses. Do you have VAG COM to diagnose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You really need a scan to get a fault code, but check the obvious places for air leaks. Oil filler cap it's it tight? and the little breather pipe that attaches, that can get splits in the hose. I had a problem like that which turned out to be the black plastic corrugated pipes behind engine had split, pretty hard to get to those. Cheers

Might be worth checking what @Varg327 found :

"opened up the breather box on the rear of the engine. Cracked membrane and alot of junk..cleaned and made a temporary fix on the membrane with gasket on tube..
Put i back in.. every issue disapered after this. Hope this helps"

Mac.

Hi all, I've been told by a garage that it's a problem with the airflow meter, which I believe is also known as the 'Mass air flow sensor'. I hear it may be possible to clean it to restore it, I've also heard that the sensor wires are too delicate to do this, and replacement is the only option. What do you all think ?
Cheers.

Also check the EGR feed pipe. It’s corrugated metal and prone to cracking at 50k mile intervals. It runs from the ex manifold at the front left side under the high pressure fuel pump to the egr valve itself.

Back