Exhaust Gas Recirculation flow excessive

Zvszvs

Hi All,

The engine management lught came on at the weekend and i plug it into the machine. TheI reading states exhaust gas recirculation.flow is excessive. See photo.

What do i do / next steps ?

Attachments

• IMG_20201031_134238.jpg
    IMG_20201031_134238.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 159
I would suggest a full VCDS scan and a throttle body clean. Check the EGR and pipes are clean at the same time.

I had something similar last week, and It went away again - or, more to the point, didn't recur after deletion.

It implies a leak rather than dirty pipes; dirty pipes would limit the flow. The pipes, though, are metal. The valve itself may be broken (at which point it's a €100 repair). Cleaning the gunk from the throttle body and the section below it might help but I wouldn't bet too much on a resolution. If you do replace the EGR, though, you will need to recalibrate it.

- Bret

I think there it is a leak, the same message has come up again and i have noticed some black residue on the garage floor underneath the front of the car in the middle, where she is kept most of the time. Is that where the egr valve is ?

I think there it is a leak, the same message has come up again and i have noticed some black residue on the garage floor underneath the front of the car in the middle, where she is kept most of the time. Is that where the egr valve is ?

Attachments

• IMG_20210221_175859.jpg
    IMG_20210221_175859.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 126
Sorry to hijack this thread. But I get the insufficient flow after every 200 miles. I have cleaned the throttle body and adapter plate (heavy carbon deposits) adapted the throttle body and EGR valve with VCDS and reports adaption complete, flushed through the connector pipe and it still happens. So I'm wondering what monitors the EGR flow and sends that data to the ECU I suspect it's the MAP or the little filter that hangs from the EGR could be blocked. Anyone have any input.
John

Its the MAF which reports demand so should the egr take more or less percentage of air intake it calculates the egr is either taking too much or too little

Its the MAF which reports demand so should the egr take more or less percentage of air intake it calculates the egr is either taking too much or too little
Thanks Howey no errors reported from the MAF but a change is in order.
John

The maf will report egr faults as it knows if the egr is not taking its fair share of the intake air upon different opperating conditions, in my experience when a maf is faulty it causes hesitation, values can be checked with good diagnostic kit and changing it wont hurt (so long as a quality unit is fitted) i wouldnt go changing it for the sake of it as failure appears quite low

The maf will report egr faults as it knows if the egr is not taking its fair share of the intake air upon different opperating conditions, in my experience when a maf is faulty it causes hesitation, values can be checked with good diagnostic kit and changing it wont hurt (so long as a quality unit is fitted) i wouldnt go changing it for the sake of it as failure appears quite low
Thanks again, I do seem to remember that VCDS did mark up something about the MAF values but I passed it by. I will give the car a full scan with my registered version, and if it flags it look into the results. But I am leaning towards the MAF reporting wrong as the EGR was clean when checked as opposed to the throttle body and adapter plate. Any change will be like for like ie Bosch.
John

Back