Failed temp gauge, failed fuel gauge and failed aircon.

Crgwal

A2OC Donor
Scotland
I got my car back last month after its timing belt was redone. So that was all good.

I noticed though, my water jets didn't work. I found the connectors had been disconnected so I put them back in. Water must have been sprayed onto the engine bay up until this point.

Putting them back in was mostly fine but one leaked so I put that in my list to fix.

At the same time my temperature on the dash was going from normal to zero to all the way to max temp. If I switched the car off and straight back on it would be showing normal temp again.

I did this for a month.

Today, the fuel temp went to zero really slowly but way faster than normal. Maybe in 5min it hit zero. Refilled tank which was almost full.

Fuel went to 75% again, then really slowly to full.

Then I switched the aircon on (it's a hot day had been using it all day)

The aircon also stopped working.

So I now have wrong engine temp, wrong fuel level showing as well as no aircon.

Can a little water on the engine bay cause all this?

Where do I start with these problems and does anyone having any experience with this?

Thank you.

What car is it and what year. I ask as there are lots of gremlins on certain models control modules. Does sound like a coincidence all these at same time after some work. Possibly a loom has been dislodged and stressed somewhere otherwise. The outside temp sensor can be seen between bumper and air condenser, inspect wiring if possible.

53 plate so second half of 2003.

Aircon started working again the next day.

I will need to clue myself up on the wiring though its not my thing.

I have had so much trouble with this car, hard to find a moment to enjoy it. Even if it is an engine error code free FSI

Last edited:
53 playe so second half of 2003.

Aircon started working again the next day.

I will need to clue myself up on the wiring though its not my thing.

I have have so much trouble with this car, hard to find a moment to enjoy it. Even if it is an engine error code free FSI
Point to note about a/c it’s best to vent trapped hot air from inside car via global opening if activated or opening all windows & then start car & activate a/c also the recirculating button this is the quickest way to drop the temperature within the car.

The a/c will then get down to temperature as it’s not having to deal with the excessive temperatures we are all experiencing.

Back