Fed up with ride comfort, any suggestions?

noahsark6

Hi everyone

Last month I changed all shocks (front Bilstein b4, rear Monroes), top mounts, drop links, and arb bushes (springs looked fine). However, I am getting more and more fed up with the ride comfort. Minor bumps an dips feel like hitting boulders, whereas in other cars driving down the same road, they feel fine.
It's so bad that the rear-view mirror moves quite often when hitting what are usually minor potholes, and I'm concerned I might even damage the alloys/shocks, it really is that crashy. Being a light car I'm not expecting much, but I'm only young and fearing for my poor back already! ? It seems to be getting worse over time too, but that could just be me getting more frustrated about it.
It's a tdi 90 on 16" 5 spokes.
Does anyone have any ideas for things to check / change that might improve the ride?

Thank you!

Lower your tyre pressure to see if that helps.
Currently on 32psi front, 30 rear, but i'll drop to the lowest stated on the fuel flap for a week, cheers.
Reluctant to further effect fuel consumption which is defo getting worse. Can cv joint / wheel bearings ending their life cause higher fuel consumption?

Was going to suggest 29 all round. What tyres are you on? Anything that the engine has to work against will use more fuel. How is your temperature gauge and thermostat. Have a VCDS scan done to see both temperatures from the sensor. The one you do not normally see feeds info to the ECU fueling map, so low signal ECU supplies more fuel. Also check the handbrake is fully releasing on the rear discs.

32 psi is actually higher than recommended by Audi. I'm usually driving 2.1bar front and 2.0 read on summer tires.
And the other obvious answer is your wheel size and tire size. 15inch wheels give better comfort. Also you could look into some fatter tires.

I would also ask the question about what tyres and more to the point - springs - you have fitted. If it is a Tdi90, was it supplied with sport springs to begin with? I have B4s on pretty well everything (10 / 12 shocks on 3 A2s, 2 of which are Tdi75s) and they are not harsh. If the tyres are over-rated as far as sidewall-strength is concerned and low-ish profile that can also also contribute to excessive stiffness on potholes.

15inch wheels give better comfort.
Yes, I'll agree with that! I changed to 15" wheels Year's ago and WHAT a difference it made! Much more compliant and comfortable. Here's something that I wasn't aware of : the difference that the BRAND of tyre can make! Why do I say that? Well I also own a Mercedes SLK and my latest car was purchased in January to replace an identical SLK not required. The difference in ride quality was staggering! The new SLK picked-up any minor road imperfections and transmitted them to the steering wheel. It was a harsh ride and heavy to steer. I've purchased new shock absorbers, front and rear together with new springs. I've purchased a steering damper, wishbones and swivels. I haven't fitted them, yet. However, before doing this, I purchased Avon V7 tyres all round. There was an AMAZING improvement in ride quality! GONE was the jitteryness and steering feed-back! Road reaction was minimal and there was a very low road noise level! It is now a joy to drive! Maybe I didn't need all that suspension stuff after all? Oh well .... I've got it so I might as well fit it, eh?
So what I'm trying to say is this : Definitely go for 15" wheels to improve comfort AND do some research as to how a particular brand of tyre might also improve ride quality .... I hope that this helps!

David

before doing this, I purchased Avon V7 tyres all round. There was an AMAZING improvement in ride quality! GONE was the jitteryness and steering feed-back! Road reaction was minimal and there was a very low road noise level! It is now a joy to drive!

So what I'm trying to say is this : Definitely go for 15" wheels to improve comfort AND do some research as to how a particular brand of tyre might also improve ride quality ....

I'd second this - I changed the front tyres from some old Dunlop StreetResponse 2 to Goodyear Vector 4Season G2 the other day and there's a lot less high frequency vibration from the road surface and the steering is much lighter. It's been a significant improvement.

I'd agree re: Tyres. For six years, I'd been fitting Alison with Kumho tyres. Earlier this year, I decided to splash out on a set of Continental Premium Contracts.

This appeared to improve the ride quality and of course, handling as there is a lot more grip in all conditions!

The side walls aren't straigt like the Kumho, they're rounded. This might explain the ride quality. ???

I run mine tdi75 on 175 65 15 with 35 psi all round and standard suspension, lovely ride (has had new shocks, springs and top mounts and new rear springs with lower spring cups)

My car is currently having Bilstein B4 shocks and Monroe springs (standard rather than sport and lowered) the top mounts, bump stops and spring cups are all being replaced too. I will post the results when I have driven if for a few days.
Steve B

In my early days of A2 motoring I hit the equivalent of a low speed hump at about 40 mph. It sounded and felt like the front suspension had been ripped out but a thorough inspection at home showed no damage. I subsequently fitted Koni FSD shocks with the original standard SE springs - which gave a significant improvement in the ride quality.
The Konis fell out of favour in later years due to some rusting so badly they collapsed. They have now been re branded as Koni Special Active and supposedly the quality issues have been sorted.
As others have indicated, tyres play their part in ride quality but in years to come, when you need new shocks again, consider the Konis

Cheers Spike

when you need new shocks again, consider the Konis
I'd be VERY wary of that brand! I was one of those who fitted Koni's a few year's ago and they collapsed as I was driving! They had completely rusted away! Luckily I was not driving at speed .... It leaves an ugly taste in your mouth ....

David

Thanks for the replies everyone!
It's comforting that tyres seem to be the main culprit left.
They're currently 185/50 16, so a thin sidewall, and they're split brands- Kumho at the front and a cheap chinese brand at the rear.
I never appreciated just how much a difference the tyre brand and size can have; a matter of experience, so this is super helpful.

I'm going to start a hunt for some nice 15" alloys, the current ones are looking tatty anyway. The high-cost of the more premium tyres has put me off, but as you guys highlight, It seems silly to splash out on suspension then not pair it with some good tyres, so this is on the list now!

I would also ask the question about what tyres and more to the point - springs - you have fitted. If it is a Tdi90, was it supplied with sport springs to begin with? I have B4s on pretty well everything (10 / 12 shocks on 3 A2s, 2 of which are Tdi75s) and they are not harsh. If the tyres are over-rated as far as sidewall-strength is concerned and low-ish profile that can also also contribute to excessive stiffness on potholes.
They look like the original springs, i'll have a look at the colour code later today and report back.
If they turn out to be sport springs would standard improve the ride?

Was going to suggest 29 all round. What tyres are you on? Anything that the engine has to work against will use more fuel. How is your temperature gauge and thermostat. Have a VCDS scan done to see both temperatures from the sensor. The one you do not normally see feeds info to the ECU fueling map, so low signal ECU supplies more fuel. Also check the handbrake is fully releasing on the rear discs.
Then 29 it is sir! thanks. The temp gauge displays 90 solidly and had the thermostat replaced about 16 months ago. I'll have a look on the vcds volunteer map, so some poor soul might be getting a message from me soon haha! The rear discs have been a problem for a couple of years. They stick but with a bit of driving they unstick, I had new callipers and handbrake cables fit and that only helped for a few months!

Not if the corrosion is on the inside surfaces. I do not trust Konis and would not even fit them onto a pram! I swapped my sports suspension back to standard but still with the 17" wheels and the ride vastly improved over the bad road surfaces we have in our area.

Currently on 32psi front, 30 rear, but i'll drop to the lowest stated on the fuel flap for a week, cheers.
Reluctant to further effect fuel consumption which is defo getting worse. Can cv joint / wheel bearings ending their life cause higher fuel consumption?
I would suggest that there is nothing at all wrong with the tyre pressures that you are running.

I would check that your tyres are properly balanced and that your alignment is right.

I'm a big fan of the Meyle HD droplinks too and for the sub £30 they cost they are the first thing i replace on any A2 ?

They look like the original springs, i'll have a look at the colour code later today and report back.
If they turn out to be sport springs would standard improve the ride?
I would imagine so if the springs chosen match the car spec for the non-sport equivalent. Decent shocks, normal spring height and decent sidewalls on the tyres seem to collectively eliminate aspects of harshness that were complained about 20 years ago. My everyday A2 has normal ride height and 195/55/16 so good on our poor road surfaces but without being wallowy.

Back