Fed up with your cupholder?

JimmyJam

Hi Guys.
Haven't posted on here for a while.
Well I am a purist when it comes to the A2 but I just had to come up with an idea for a different cupholder. (spilling hot drinks while accelerating)
After months of 3d design my idea was too complicated. So scrapped that idea.

So came up with this. I measured the cubby hole under the temp console and thought I could design something to fit in there.
But I came across this already made eBay cup holder, bought it and tried to fit it inside, because the internal measurements were so close to the external measurements of the cupholder.
It wedged in but stuck out way too far.
So I took the cubby hole out of the dash using the clenched fist technique.
The cupholder would fit in nicely but it's outer trim wasn't the same as the cubby hole.
So I got the cubby hole and faced it face down on my scanner. Turned it into a 3d file. Done a few tests and micro adjustments then printed the 3d trim file.
It fitted around the new cupholder perfectly. And after sorting the trim black it matched the new black cupholder.

Look its not amazingly made, and the pull out trays have a bit of a sharp edge, but hey, now I have a tray and a cupholder too.
Tested my coffee cups while driving and not come out once.
I must admit when you pull the drink holder bit out, it does sit a bit close to the gear stick but you have to adapt and not pretend you are driving a rally car.

Hope you guys like it.

Attachments

• IMG_20220805_231901.jpg
    IMG_20220805_231901.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 190
  • IMG_20220805_231850.jpg
    IMG_20220805_231850.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 188
  • IMG_20220805_231844.jpg
    IMG_20220805_231844.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 183
  • Screenshot_20220805_232846.jpg
    Screenshot_20220805_232846.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 190
An even simpler solution is to carry any hot drinks in a Thermos flask packed away in a picnic set in the boot and use the OEM cup holders when you stop in some safe and scenic location and want a drink whilst you're there.

Hi Guys.
Haven't posted on here for a while.
Well I am a purist when it comes to the A2 but I just had to come up with an idea for a different cupholder. (spilling hot drinks while accelerating)
After months of 3d design my idea was too complicated. So scrapped that idea.

So came up with this. I measured the cubby hole under the temp console and thought I could design something to fit in there.
But I came across this already made eBay cup holder, bought it and tried to fit it inside, because the internal measurements were so close to the external measurements of the cupholder.
It wedged in but stuck out way too far.
So I took the cubby hole out of the dash using the clenched fist technique.
The cupholder would fit in nicely but it's outer trim wasn't the same as the cubby hole.
So I got the cubby hole and faced it face down on my scanner. Turned it into a 3d file. Done a few tests and micro adjustments then printed the 3d trim file.
It fitted around the new cupholder perfectly. And after sorting the trim black it matched the new black cupholder.

Look its not amazingly made, and the pull out trays have a bit of a sharp edge, but hey, now I have a tray and a cupholder too.
Tested my coffee cups while driving and not come out once.
I must admit when you pull the drink holder bit out, it does sit a bit close to the gear stick but you have to adapt and not pretend you are driving a rally car.

Hope you guys like it.
I love the ingenuity.

An even simpler solution is to carry any hot drinks in a Thermos flask packed away in a picnic set in the boot and use the OEM cup holders when you stop in some safe and scenic location and want a drink whilst you're there.
As I have 2 young children, and on the go all the time, picnics are not an option. It's more give me coffee get them to school rush rush rush.

Good shout Jimmy 👍 The front cupholders were always too high up and prone to spillage. Meanwhile the single-DIN cubby was never much good for storing anything that you couldn't wedge inside it, otherwise it would fall out too easily. That seems to be a solution to both problems.

I wonder what could be done with the space occupied by the top cupholders now? I know @timmus has a phone cradle / charging dock in his driver's side one, which is at exactly the right level to use the Maps function on the phone as a sat-nav. Any other ideas anyone?

Hi @Proghound . Thank you for the compliment.
I was thinking to retrofit something like these in the original cupholder slots.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220806_104401_com.ebay.mobile.jpg
    Screenshot_20220806_104401_com.ebay.mobile.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 78
Looks nice, but I quite like the original cup holders, aircon keeps my bottled water cool on hot days.
Lamborhini Huracan owners have to tick an option or buy 500$ kit for something that we get from factory :D

Back