Fitting 12V Socket in Boot (non OEM)

Alan_uk

A2OC Donor
I fitted this socket to facilitate a PV panel to charge the A2. During lockdown the battery would gradually become weaker due to the alarm system being on 24/7.

I did consider a OEM socket but this would necessitate removing the left boot panel that goes over the rear nearside wheel, and I read they can be a pain to remove and refit.

On ebay I bought:
12V USB Car Cigarette Lighter Waterproof Socket Charger Power Adapter Fuse Cable
Note that the cable terminates in eyelet connectors. The cap on the socket is not essential but a nice touch.

Car Cigarette Lighter Socket Plug Connector 12v Male 5A with LED Car Van Caravan
Note that the plug is a right angled plug. You see why later. I also removed the LED and resistor. These plugs need the wire soldering which is a bit fiddly.

eBay 12V socket with fuse.jpg
eBay 12V plug right angled.jpg

Photos: ebay items

The first task was to locate a suitable position that allowed an easy cable run to the battery. Given the socket cable length then this was going to be on the nearside of the boot.

I tested the space next to first aid kit slot by drilling a very small hole circa 1mm and probing with a thin wire. My first hole was about 20mm or so to the right of the first aid kit slot, but here I felt something. However, it seemed promising so I pulled away the boot liner and found a gap in the corner of the wheel arch bulk head and inserted an endoscope (I have an inexpensive Depstech that is powered by a USB rechargeable battery and displays the image on a mobile phone via wi-fi). Note that to pull away the boot liner I removed the two load hooks.

Boot lining showing access to behind arch.jpg

Photo: Boot lining showing access to behind arch

As you can see there is another bulkhead just to the right of the first aid kit slot

Behind the boot liner at the bottom corner.jpg

Photo: Behind the boot liner at the bottom corner

Further up I could see my wire. In the end I decided to drill a hole exactly midway between the first aid kit slot and the false floo9r runner.

Boot lining with cut hole and wire showing cable route.jpg

Photo: Boot lining with cut hole and wire showing cable route

Note the wire has reached the bottom corner. In the next photo you can see the bulkhead that is just to the right of the first aid kit slot and you can see one of the yellow clips that secure the boot lining to another bulkhead.

Looking into the cut hole showing one bulk head.jpg

Photo Looking into the cut hole showing one bulk head

I used a hole cutter on an electric drill. I thought it fortunate I had a hole cutter the same size as the socket but given the soft nature of the boot lining then the socket hole was very slightly too big.

I next protected the 12V cable to the socket with a number of layers of shrink wrap of increasing size. Note initially I got the position wrong, hence a rather long shrink wrap.

Cable from socket to battery with inline fuse.jpg

Photo: Cable from socket to battery with inline fuse

I then taped the socket push on connectors to the wire at the bottom and pulled them through and connected to the socket. I then wrapped the metal casing of the socket with tape.

Socket with white insulating tape.jpg

Photo: Socket with white insulating tape

Next I found a route to the battery terminals where I fitted the eyelets to the nuts & bolts securing the battery terminals. I kept the inline fuse at 10A (max. power of the cable & socket is 120W). Note I did change the fuses in the plugs to 5A to suit the PV panel.

Sorry no photos but I recall cutting away a small amount of plastic around the plastic tray holding the tool kit so the cable was not squashed by the floor.

continues....

Finally I pushed the socket in place and I used a small dab of hot glue to secure it and stop it popping up.

Socket in place.JPG

Photo: Socket in use

I think it looks quite neat and the position has the benefit that the first aid kit keeps the plug in place (given that the plunger end of the plug has a spring).

Socket in use.jpg

Photo: Socket in place

Last edited:
Nice after market solution with write up.

Is that moisture I can see in your Photo Looking into the cut hole showing one bulk head?
1654198360036.png

Check the battery tray as the rear air extractor vents may need to be resealed.

Nice after market solution with write up.

Is that moisture I can see in your Photo Looking into the cut hole showing one bulk head?

Check the battery tray as the rear air extractor vents may need to be resealed.
Thanks for the compliment. Re moisture: not that I noticed when I did this job last November. It could be indentations from where I was prodding with a wire. I did reseal the vents a few years back when I took the bumper off for a respray. I've never seen any water in the boot. Next time the spare wheel is out I will check.

Why not just plug the PV panel into the front socket? PV panels don't work well in the rear window because of the aerofoil.

RAB

Why not just plug the PV panel into the front socket? PV panels don't work well in the rear window because of the aerofoil.

RAB
It was never in the rear. Initially it was on the front dash but that was a) a pain to move each time I drove, b) was in danger of marking the dash even though on cardboard, c) shaded by a hedge d) facing west.

The solution:

PV Panel on Wall Oblique View lr.jpg
PV Controller on Wall Open lr.jpg

Need to remember to unplug the car before driving but it's all good practice for when I get my EV!

Just to illustrate how important it is to keep a battery fully charged where possible, while installing a composting toilet in my house in France in December 1999 (my garden is too small for a septic tank and there is no mains drainage), Tempest Martin struck which brought proceedings to halt - no power, a situation that lasted for three weeks!

To remove the small volume of water that drains from the composting unit into a lined sand pit in the garden, I decided to install a 12v boat sump pump, powered by a 12v battery and a solar charger. The battery's charge capacity is still above its original design capacity, 22 years after installation!

RAB

Last edited by a moderator:
I still found in a very cold and grey spell in the middle of winter I had to revert to a traditional battery charger to ensure the A2 would start. I always use the low charge setting and have it on a timer so it is not running overnight in case it catches fire. I know you can get sophisticated mains chargers that provide the optimum charge but a PV panel is greener.

I'm looking to get as house battery system but I suspect that in winter it will get little charge from the PV system as well; not enough to run the house LED lights, PC, IT network stuff, fridge & freezer at night.

I still found in a very cold and grey spell in the middle of winter I had to revert to a traditional battery charger to ensure the A2 would start. I always use the low charge setting and have it on a timer so it is not running overnight in case it catches fire. I know you can get sophisticated mains chargers that provide the optimum charge but a PV panel is greener.

I'm looking to get as house battery system but I suspect that in winter it will get little charge from the PV system as well; not enough to run the house LED lights, PC, IT network stuff, fridge & freezer at night.
The controller I use shuts off charging the battery at about 14.4v. If the panel is outside (you lose 50 to 60% output through a windscreen), a 10w panel should be sufficient, even on a dull day. 20 or 30w is better.

You can now buy PV batteries now that can also charge overnight if you have Economy 7; they use the weather forecast to decide to charge from the panels or the mains.

RAB

The controller I use shuts off charging the battery at about 14.4v. If the panel is outside (you lose 50 to 60% output through a windscreen), a 10w panel should be sufficient, even on a dull day. 20 or 30w is better.
The one I installed is 20W. In winter there is probably shading for some hours from the house next door.

Back