Fitting a new battery

Hi Guys
My battery died today and a new one is on its way.
I'm fine with fitting it from a general point of view but am wondering if I have to do anything special with regards to the I.C.E.
It's a Symphony 2 I think: 6 x CD, cassette tape and AM/FM radio.

Do you have to have a code or anything like that?

Cheers

Hi,

From what I know the code only will be requested if you change the radio to another vehicle.

Kind regards,

Miguel.

Last edited:
If it's the original radio, should be OK. If not, you'll need the code. If you don't have it (should be in the radio manual). Pull the radio out, and take a pic of the serial lable. You can get a code via ebay, from serial number, between £5 & 10. Lots offering this. Worked for me, although mine is original, it's good to have, just in case.
Mac.

Thank you both.

I have found the manual in the leather folder and the serial number and code are printed on the inside front cover. Looks like it's never been opened.

Thanks again.

Robbie
PS It is the original radio.

You will be just fine regarding the radio. Regardless if it was the one it originally left Germany with or one replaced more recently the car will be expecting to see that units code. If it matches the code in the cars memory then the radio will work.

Thank you all.
My memory must be fading, or maybe I'm getting lazy, but I must have done this before.

I bought a battery from Euro Car parts in December 2015 for £75. A Bosch S3 096 with a 3-year guarantee. So it lasted 5 years, not bad. All I could remember was having one fitted by Halfords, which must have been the one before.

The new one is a Varta for £85.

Cheers.

Robbie

I've just changed my battery and as stated above my original radio continued to work. However both keys needed to be re-paired/synced so had to open the car manually - took just a minute. Some say the window up/down positions need to be resynced after changing the battery but mine were OK.

OK found this

"In practise, what you need to do is simply lock and unlock the car using the blade in the door and then start the car. Run it for a few seconds and then turn off and pull the key out and immediately press the unlock button. You'll hear the door locks cycle and then it's all done."

I don't recall starting the engine but certainly turning on the ignition.

Changed my battery about 3 months ago and there was no need to recode the radio(RNSE) nor reset keys/windows. All I did was make sure I swapped over the terminals in less than a minute. Mind you, haven't a clue if that made a difference

Just ordered a new battery tonight. 16 years on the original can’t be bad !
Hope it was a Varta like the original one. That lifespan and length of service deserves brand loyalty in my eyes as nothing seems to be made to last anymore ?

Back