Fitting A3 Steering Wheel

Korova

Apologies in advance if this has been discussed before, the search function doesn't throw up anything specific.

Got hold of a nice A3 steering wheel to replace the slightly tired looking standard four-spoke unit currently in place. The problem lies with the connector for the horn.

The A2 loom has a clip and connect terminal, which is shown circled, along with it's location in the four-spoke wheel cradle. All very simple, one connector for the horn, one for the airbag.

The A3 wiring loom is slightly different: the pic I've also included here shows the A3 wheel cradle and this has three connecting points.

I'm not sure how to go forward with this. Do I need to modify the A2 clip to fit the A3 wheel connector, and which connector does it need to match with? ...and do the other two connectors then become redundant?

I'd really appreciate some advice on what should be quite a simple swap! It's had me scratching my head for a little while now.

TIA

Attachments

• IMG_1769.jpg
    IMG_1769.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 248
  • IMG_1679.jpg
    IMG_1679.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 240
  • IMG_1677.jpg
    IMG_1677.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 236
Did you get the wheel loom with the A3 steering wheel. Use that to replace the A2 loom. That is the best way.

Did you get the wheel loom with the A3 steering wheel. Use that to replace the A2 loom. That is the best way.

Yes, I did indeed. However, the plug from the A3 loom that connects to the socket on the steering wheel boss is a different shape, maddeningly enough- the yellow A3 connecter is fatter (see pic below)

Attachments

• IMG_1678.jpg
    IMG_1678.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 243
Just checked the part number it is a 4 spoke wheel. The connections are airbag, live and earth both for the horn. You could get another SE A2 wheel loom and see if that is compatible. How old is your car as this may be important?

Last edited:
Done more research the wheel / air bag part number is from an A4...

Hey, thanks a million for checking this out for me, much appreciated. My car is a 2002 SE TDI, if that's any help.

The links that you sent don't seem to be working at the moment, although I was able to grab a quick look earlier: so by my understanding, would the loom from an A4 of a similar vintage be a possible match?

Assuming it is just a standard wheel without any function buttons on it? Try to search for pictures of the A4 loom part numbers and see if they look like they will fit first.
This is dangerous as I can not find proof the A4 wheel will work correctly on the A2.

Last edited:
IIRC the a4 steering wheels are not compatible to an a2, due to the airbag wiring (single stage vs dual stage ignition). So the wiring loom will not fit either. Be aware of any danger fiddling around wirh airbags or you will regret it.
Stay safe?

Whilst I can not confirm this A4 wheel is single or dual stage airbag. I for one WILL NOT fit a dual stage onto an A2, nor would I be tempted to modify a loom. May be wise to walk away while you still can.
There are enough genuine A2 wheels in standard, se and sport versions, plus TT to not have to stray further afield. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Yeah, I really didn't want to go touching wiring as it's unchartered territory for me. I naively thought that the sport and A3 wheels were the same, given their physical appearance. No matter- I'll see if I can source a sport wheel and go from there. If you know of anyone who might be selling one then let me know ?

Sport and A3 sport wheels can be the same, unfortunately you wheel is neither as it is a 4 spoke A4. If you have not already upgrade your account by clicking on your name, then Account upgrades and pay the one off £2 fee. This will enable you to access Market where you can browse or place a wanted advert - best option. Best to ask advise before you purchase something not from an A2, all a learning curve just hopefully not too expensive.

Sport steering wheels have 3 spokes and standard / SE have 4 spokes. There are also multi functional versions.

You have to take the 4 spoke harness and connect to the 3 spoke, this requires the complete disassembly of the 4 spoke wheel, the spring loaded structure needs to come off. My mechanic did the swap in about 10min.

You have to take the 4 spoke harness and connect to the 3 spoke, this requires the complete disassembly of the 4 spoke wheel, the spring loaded structure needs to come off. My mechanic did the swap in about 10min.

Was thinking that could be a possibility. If the housing cradle for the 3 and 4 spoke have the same anchor points, then it shouldn't be a problem and also avoid getting into anything wiring-related. That appeals, definitely.

Sport and A3 sport wheels can be the same, unfortunately you wheel is neither as it is a 4 spoke A4. If you have not already upgrade your account by clicking on your name, then Account upgrades and pay the one off £2 fee. This will enable you to access Market where you can browse or place a wanted advert - best option. Best to ask advise before you purchase something not from an A2, all a learning curve just hopefully not too expensive.

Sport steering wheels have 3 spokes and standard / SE have 4 spokes. There are also multi functional versions.

I've used marketplace in the past, yes, although the wheel I sourced from eBay. Probably would've been wiser to have tried here first. Not bothered about multi-functionality, retrofitting one of those seems like a lot of grief. Just after a slightly smaller, thicker-rimmed wheel.

I've used marketplace in the past, yes, although the wheel I sourced from eBay. Probably would've been wiser to have tried here first. Not bothered about multi-functionality, retrofitting one of those seems like a lot of grief. Just after a slightly smaller, thicker-rimmed wheel.
You could always get your original wheel refurbished with a thicker rim, might be a better option in that case.

I believe a few other members have successfully used Royale steering wheels and have been very happy with the results.

Back