Fitting Audi space saver wheel holding bracket

Bracket with a 15" Golf Spacesaver

Hi,

I've purchased a 15" space saver wheel off a Mk3 Golf, would this guide work with my space saver or is this guide only for a genuine A2 Space saver?

Cheers Rob.

Good question, mike skipton is going to fit a bracket for mee soon. When he has done so, if you can get yourself along to a social you are more than welcome to try your wheel to see if it will fit.

Cheers

David

Good question, mike skipton is going to fit a bracket for mee soon. When he has done so, if you can get yourself along to a social you are more than welcome to try your wheel to see if it will fit.

Cheers

David

I may take you up on that if I don't find an answer by then :) I will be interested to find out if anyone has already tried with success/failure.

Cheers Rob.

Chris thank you for your offer to visit you in St Neots. But Mike is doing some other stuff on my car and I was just going to get him to do that at the same time. But the offer is apreashated.

Cheers

David

I doubt it will work as the rolling radius of a proper space saver is the same (or very similar) to the standard wheel which means there is just sufficient space between the back of the seat-base and trim below the boot lid for it to fit; the collpasable spare has some free space around it and from memory it doesn't sit perfectly inbetween the two; also, the locating bolt may not fit. Best to phyically try one in somebdoy's car with a bracket before fitting! To be honest, I just left my 16" spare wheel loose in there, usually with something holding it in place. I did think about building a small frame to sit alongside it, put some MDF over it then carpet it in black.

No answer to my question on here, although a quick check with the parts team at the local stealership suggests the nuts come already-fitted into the big plastic tray and a new one is £106 (plus loads of blood swat and tears to replace it); I will fashion a DIY lash-up but to be honest it's secure enough with the two bolts already fitted plus the wheel through the floor.

David, unless you were already on a visit to see Mike you can always pop down to St Neots and we can measure out the hole in your boot as this is the bit that takes the most brain power, the rest is a cinch!

Thanks for your reply. Yeah I think your right, best bet will be to try on someones bracket before fitting.

Cheers Rob.

Hi,

I've asked today Stoke Audi for: 'Mounting for spare 8Z0 803 327' mentioned in this how-to. To my surprise they said that this is not valid part. Could anyone check this part number for me please?

Thanks,

Marius

I think it should be 8Z0 863 327. Its a plate sized plastic disc the spacesaver lays on to protect the floor covering

Cheers Spike

So was there an answer in the end for wether a golf mk3 spare will fit on this bracket kit and if anyone knows if they are still available from Audi?

The part number for the screw that holds the spare to the battery clamp is similar across the VAG range.
The board is more to protect the carpet (from the rim edge) and provide better isolation of the spare wheel.
The above then both bolt onto the battery clamp, which bolts into the boot well/battery compartment floor.

So was there an answer in the end for wether a golf mk3 spare will fit on this bracket kit and if anyone knows if they are still available from Audi?
The tyre on a mk3 Spacesaver is the wrong size and wopuld need to be replaced (expensive) and also it would have to be a mk1 A3 spacesaver for the wheel studs to be correct.

Any Spacesaver fits the bracket it is just a large screw with a handle on it that goes through one of the wheel stud holes.

The plastic circular plate can be a nuisance and the bits that go through the 5 studs on the wheel often get bent, so I wouldn't miss that (but it would leave an indentation in the carpet, but that is not a real issue.

Steve B

Back