Fixing my A2

giskard

With the MOT looming, and the red exclamation symbol on the dash tomorrow is going to be spent trying to fix problems. On Wednesday paid to have codes read and got the following:
00283 ABS Sensor front left
00285 ABS Sensor front right
00290 ABS Sensor rear left
01044 control module incorrectly coded
01314 engine control module no communication
01423 lateral acceleration Sensor G200 circuit failure
00814 solenoid for brake pressure n247
00812 brake pressure release solenoid f84
00778 steering angle Sensor no communication
01312 powertrain data bus faulty intermittent

When i bought the a2 all the warning lights were already on. I swapped the comfort module with a AF one so i could use a remote key. Still have the original. The man at the vw/audi place said that as my a2 was a y reg it wouldn't have a steering angle sensor, is this true? Obviously going to clean and check wiring on ABS sensors first. Can anyone offer pointers about any of the others?

Thank you in advance

Last edited:
That is a hell of a long list and if it was correct it would mean that every sensor and solenoid has failed at the exact same time, impossible.

have you cleared them and driven for a few yards and then rescanned? If they all come back then the problem is unlikely to be the sensors and solenoids, iy has to be something more fundamental, I think that the 01044 error might be worth investigating. The Ross Tech site has some help for this but it seems a bit technical Have a look and see what you think, it shows you how to recode the control module.

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/tour/recode_screen.html

But always do an internet search for the error codes, there is a lot of info out there.

I searched for "Audi error" followed by the error code.

Steve B

Hi Giskard,

Pity you had to pay ( how much?) to have a scan. Follow the good advice of Steve Birchall but you don't want to pay again. Are you aware you and Boxy live in Telford?

Andy

I paid £30 for the scan, I have a lead and a copy of VCDS lite on my laptop . I was expecting more from the paid scan to be honest rather than confirming the codes that I have. I have plugged in the laptop at the minute and cleared the codes and I only have 8 left now
I have gone into select control module then 03 ABS and get the following:

ABS
VAG NUMBER: 8Z0 907 379 B
SOFT CODING: 10758
WACOMPONENT: ESP 20 CAN V015
SHOP WSC 00505

Taken the front left sensor out to test – sensor looks clean and I am going to test the reading with a multimeter. Disconnected the sensor - Should I be getting a electrical reading from the cables?

The man at the vw/audi place said that as my a2 was a y reg it wouldn't have a steering angle sensor, is this true?
Thank you in advance

Definitely has a steering sensor, changed mine recently. Once all the codes have been cleared, the steering sensor icon and fault lights will come on as soon as you turn the steering wheel. You do not even have to move the car.

The steering sensor has to be set up if something has disturbed it (like turning the wheel with it off or turning the sensor with the wheel off.

If you do a search of the Ross Tech site for steering sensor or similar you should find instructions.

Steve B

getting a reading of 0.1 to 0.2 volts from the plus going to the abs sensors. the one sensors will have to be replaced as it was rusted in the hole. The code on the ABS pump is 8Z0 614 517C. Now does this code have to match the code from the VCDS that i got from 3 posts up?

getting a reading of 0.1 to 0.2 volts from the plus going to the abs sensors. the one sensors will have to be replaced as it was rusted in the hole. The code on the ABS pump is 8Z0 614 517C. Now does this code have to match the code from the VCDS that i got from 3 posts up?

The code is the part number and VCDS reads that from the ABS controller and so they match anyway.

Remember that the part number you are seeing on your car is for one part of the ABS pump, underneath there is another part number, that is the one that VCDS reads and so it will be the same as the one on your controller.

Steve B

As you can see from the pictures below there are two part numbers involved. They are similar to your part numbers mentioned but just slightly different versions.

This si the one that VCDS refers to
ABS PART NO 1.jpg

This is the one you can see on your pump
ABS PART NO 2.JPG

Cheers. Just running out of things to try, im going to order a new sensor for the one side as that one was stuck in place and has broken and see if that clears the VCDS on that side and then take it from there.

I’ve got a breaker same year available and based in Telford if you need any of these parts..

Ian

Try having a look at the back of the bearing , it is a segmented magnet that the sensor picks up as the wheel rotates, they collect iron/steel filings from the disk quite quickly.
A spray with brake cleaner & a wipe should ensure its free to do its job.
Just look where the sensor is mounted.
Cheap & easy
Keith.

Hubs and bearing are all clean, ordered a new sensor to try and eliminate steps one at a time: thanks to boxy for allowing me to try and remove the old ones off his breaker, rusted in place. Have to wait for postie

Just researching the faults and thought about these numbers which I forgot to add earlier - i ahve added them in bold - does anyone know what they mean? if they are relevant?

00283 35-00 ABS Sensor front left
00285 35-00 ABS Sensor front right
00290 35-00 ABS Sensor rear left
01044 35-00 control module incorrectly coded
01314 49-00 engine control module no communication
01423 57-00 lateral acceleration Sensor G200 circuit failure
00814 35-00 solenoid for brake pressure n247
00812 35-00 brake pressure release solenoid f84
00778 49-00 steering angle Sensor no communication
01312 37-10 powertrain data bus faulty intermittent

Back