Fm transmitters

Jorrdao

Hi, i have recently bought an FM transmitter and when i tune the car to an empty frequency (the one I have set my transmitter to) it works for a couple of seconds until the radio starts beeping or it changes station by itself

can someone help?

Have you considered retrofitting an auxiliary or bluetooth addition to the radio as an alternative?

FM quality is poor in comparison but I get transmitter is convenient.

Hi, i have recently bought an FM transmitter and when i tune the car to an empty frequency (the one I have set my transmitter to) it works for a couple of seconds until the radio starts beeping or it changes station by itself

can someone help?
Is the empty frequency at the top or bottom of the range covered by the radio? If not, the radio may switch to an alternative frequency.
Choose the highest or lowest frequency, higher or lower than any frequency allocated to a real station.
Agree with @cheechy Bluetooth adapter better quality.
Mac.

Have you considered retrofitting an auxiliary or bluetooth addition to the radio as an alternative?

FM quality is poor in comparison but I get transmitter is convenient.
I have considered it yes, but i would still prefer the transmitter because it is cheaper and as you said convenient. Although if I am not able to fix this issue i will probably resort to that

Is the empty frequency at the top or bottom of the range covered by the radio? If not, the radio may switch to an alternative frequency.
Choose the highest or lowest frequency, higher or lower than any frequency allocated to a real station.
Agree with @cheechy Bluetooth adapter better quality.
Mac.
I have tried with the lowest and highest frequency the radio covers, it still didn’t work.
What are the price of those adapters?

Is the transmitter powering down which is causing the radio to retune?
Or have you not stored the frequency on the FM transmitter?

Poor against what? DAB? With a good signal, FM is always better!

RAB

Think you've walked up the wrong path here for quite some miles Rab :D

OP is talking about an FM transmitter module as opposed to plugging directly into this Headunit

Think you've walked up the wrong path here for quite some miles Rab :D

OP is talking about an FM transmitter module as opposed to plugging directly into this Headunit
Fair point! FM transmitters are restricted to 15kHz, so that's possibly why.

RAB

Massive tangent however I do understand where you are both coming from. FM can be better under the right circumstances however those circumstances are rarely met - in which case DAB normally does sound clearer.

Article is from 2006!
Have had a DAB unit in my Audi 100 for 10 years.Have FM in A2's and DAB is way better
So what has happened since 2006? To FM, nothing. To DAB, bit rates for a lot of stations have been reduced.

Not to mention that in the A2 you are relying on the rear screen as your 'aerial', so hardly a fair comparison.

Here's a more recent article. See 'Sound Quality':

RAB

Last edited by a moderator:
Massive tangent however I do understand where you are both coming from. FM can be better under the right circumstances however those circumstances are rarely met - in which case DAB normally does sound clearer.
Cheechy, the right circumstances never occur in an A2! For instance, what happens when you switch on the rear screen heater?

RAB

True. The cheapest (and easiest) radio option is to buy one that's affordable with all the options you think you need at the time as well as the one's you don't!

RAB

Back