Fog lights

Utopia16

I have just entered back into the world of the A2 and was wondering if anyone has ever turned their fog lights into driving lights? I was thinking of wiring the fog lights to come on with the main beam . Any advice ?

Do you mean DRL (Daytime Running Lights)?
If so, they should come on with Ignition, and go off with dipped or main beam. If you want fogs to do double duty (DRLs by day, fogs when it's foggy), then a relay is required, with simple wiring mods.
Mac.

No advise, but I wonder what an MOT inspector would make of the redundant fog light position on the rotary headlamp switch, unless you swapped it for a non fog light switch.

Andy

You beat me to it David, having followed Davids great thread I put the very same DRLs on mine.
DSC_0002 (5).jpg

I have just entered back into the world of the A2 and was wondering if anyone has ever turned their fog lights into driving lights? I was thinking of wiring the fog lights to come on with the main beam . Any advice ?

Welcome back to the A2 and welcome to the forum :)

In terms of your original idea of driving lights, TBH the angle of the foglights means they really only show you what's immediately in front of the car on the road and margins. To my mind at least, if you're going to need them, you'll need them for the dips as much as the main beams. The three light sources illuminate mainly separate zones in front of the car, and there's a purpose for each of them. I guess you could raise the level of the fogs to a limited extent with them being unfocused, but with the mains on, the dips are still on anyway. Brighter bulbs in the dips would probably make more of a difference.

The fogs as they are would certainly have a use doubling as DRL's though.

Many thanks, unlike other forums I have used this has been a great help. No Micky taking or contradicting advice , thanks again. I am going to go with the advice of brighter bulbs to start as I don’t want to start changing the light switch.

... or you could fit LED bulbs into the front sidelamps and run on those (switch position #1).
DRLs are about being seen; it makes no sense to me that only front lamps are on.
Andrew

PS Ten years ago, when I first got my A2, within a matter of weeks I had three close incidents, in daylight, where other drivers did not appear to see my car. I have not experienced that driving any other car. Since then I have run on sidelights.

Last edited:
Back