Found!? - Hydrophobic coating

vkx245l

A2OC Donor
I think I might have found the hydrophobic coating used on the rear screen.
You may know that the early service books stated that this needed renewing every two years. Well 4 years of ownership and 5 dealers later, all of which have responded with "The less said about that the better", a quick search of ebay today has come up with this.
Item 4607923730 at the Stafford Audi ebay shop - yes it looks like at least one dealer is being procative about selling stuff - an audi part called screen coating. Theres no part number I can see but its in genuine audi packaging. Might give it a go for a fiver.

For those of you who like to replace perfectly servicable bits and pieces on your cars there is also a new rear screen - complete with spoiler for sale on ebay for £150!

You're all going to tell me you knew about this coating all along aren't you.

Cheers
Jonathan

Hi Jonathan
Yes, your correct. we do know about it - Check out the archives for a product called Ombrello. Many of our club members have used it over the years so i'm really pleased you raised the topic again. It will be interesting to hear if anyone rates the glass treatment and find out how long the coating lasts.

Cheers Spike

If anyone wants a complete rear screen, with spoiler, I've got a spare in the garage - yours for £100.

I love undercutting the stealers!

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Spike

Has anyone previously identified the correct Audi coating. Like I say all the dealers I've ever mentioned it to didn't want to know and I've never been able to work out why this was?
Could they not do it
Did Audi not have any coating renewal for them
Could they not be bothered.

I persoanlly like rain-x but its hard work to get right and then you have to keep topping it up regularly

Thanks
Jonathan

ps Mike does your garage door open into your local stealers!

Hi Jonathan
In the early days of A2 ownership I read every article I could about the car and also pestered my dealer for details of the rear screen recoating procedure but never got an answer. Having looked at the Audi kit now offered by Stafford, it seems very similar to the Ombrello product as used by several club members in the past (the price is also very similar).
Out of interest I did a search for the Ombrello web site but drew a blank.
If you decide to try the Audi kit then please let us know how you get on

Cheers Spike

Thirteen years later, without any knowledge that I should have been renewing the hydrophobic coating (code word Ombrello) on my rear screen ... my rear screen appears just fine!

Thirteen years later, without any knowledge that I should have been renewing the hydrophobic coating (code word Ombrello) on my rear screen ... my rear screen appears just fine!
Try gtechniq ‘g’range not cheap but brilliant on windscreens & side windows also lasts ages

Back