Front control arms.

Tomscar

Today I ...

Project Resurgam
, an early start this morning and I could barely contain the anticipation, everything was lined up to install the front control arms ... all parts delivered, the tools were laid out, WD40 and breaker bar at the ready :eek:

The plan was to leave all the bolts tight on the passenger side, put a jack under the Subframe and change the drivers side first, hopefully this will keep the relative position of the Subframe to the Chassis.

A heavy duty ball joint separator was used to release the control arm from the knuckle assembly ... an easy job with the right tools.
Two bolts to remove the Console from the Chassis with an 18mm socket, a long extension was useful on the one under the arch.
Another two bolts that go through the Subframe and Console, holding the steering rack in place, removed with a 16mm socket.
One long bolt that goes through the front of the Subframe and locates the leading edge of the control arm also removed with an 18mm socket.
A two foot breaker bar loosened all the bolts prior to ordering any parts and nothing was stuck.
All bolts are single use and new ones are going back in.
The Console and Control Arm slipped out easily and isn't that heavy or awkward to manoeuvre ... I'm on axle stands and there was plenty of room.

1. Out with the old.

2. Console Positions Marked ... All the bolts had been sprayed with WD40 over the last weeks and already made sure they would loosen off before attempting or buying anything ... I had enough leverage with a two foot breaker bar.

3. Two arm puller ... Two minute job extracting the old control arm when it was held in the vice.

4. Thorough Console Clean ... With Gunk and a wire brush.

5. Ball Joint Advisory on Last MOT ... This one is very slack and might be the reason for the suspension knocking.

6. Control Arm Inserted ... Used the old bolt to drive the control arm into the rear Console bushing.

7. Ready to go back in :D

8 Subframe ... you can see the steering rack on top and where the 16mm bolts locate through from the bottom into it.

9. Control Arm almost back in.

10. Don't Panic ... if the captive nut turns when you reinsert the 18mm bolts to the chassis :eek:
The first side was completed in no time but thought I'd broken something when undoing the back 18mm Console bolt on the other side ... the bolt was turning but not coming out ... a little bit of investigating and discovered that clever Audi insert the captive nut through a slot in the chassis, I had managed to dislodge it from the plastic tray that pushes into the slot ... a little bit of jiggling with a small screwdriver held the nut in place until the bolt was unscrewed and after the nut was placed back in the tray it held in place when it was reassembled.
These are the part numbers as far as I could make out.

Thanks Robin Cox ...
There are two of these threaded plates on each side ... the console bolts locate into these.
Part numbers:
8Z0 805 689 Threaded Plate
8Z0 805 413C Retaining Cover

None of the bolts are torqued yet and will give them the final 'stretch' when everything is lined up and sitting on four wheels.
A satisfying job all-round and took about five hours for both sides ... including coffee breaks and a nosey on the A2OC forums.
Meyle control arms were used (£62 each), all new bolts from Belfast Audi (£32) and I also bought a two arm puller (£12) and a Draper Ball Joint Separator (£16) to make the job easier.
Thanks for reading ... maybe should put a list together of all the tools that I used to complete the job :)

Last edited:
Thanks for all the encouragement chaps ...
Robin, I've amended the part numbers above for threaded plate and cover, thanks for that ?
Yes Frank, if you are ever stuck and I can help then no problem, only an hour away ?

Thanks for all the encouragement chaps ...
Robin, I've amended the part numbers above for threaded plate and cover, thanks for that ?
Yes Frank, if you are ever stuck and I can help then no problem, only an hour away ?
Same Tom...many thanks

Today I ...

Project Resurgam
, an early start this morning and I could barely contain the anticipation, everything was lined up to install the front control arms ... all parts delivered, the tools were laid out, WD40 and breaker bar at the ready :eek:

The plan was to leave all the bolts tight on the passenger side, put a jack under the Subframe and change the drivers side first, hopefully this will keep the relative position of the Subframe to the Chassis.

A heavy duty ball joint separator was used to release the control arm from the knuckle assembly ... an easy job with the right tools.
Two bolts to remove the Console from the Chassis with an 18mm socket, a long extension was useful on the one under the arch.
Another two bolts that go through the Subframe and Console, holding the steering rack in place, removed with a 16mm socket.
One long bolt that goes through the front of the Subframe and locates the leading edge of the control arm also removed with an 18mm socket.
A two foot breaker bar loosened all the bolts prior to ordering any parts and nothing was stuck.
The Console and Control Arm slipped out easily and isn't that heavy or awkward to manoeuvre ... I'm on axle stands and there was plenty of room.

1. Out with the old.
View attachment 45682

2. Console Positions Marked ... All the bolts had been sprayed with WD40 over the last weeks and already made sure they would loosen off before attempting or buying anything ... I had enough leverage with a two foot breaker bar.
View attachment 45683

3. Two arm puller ... Two minute job extracting the old control arm when it was held in the vice.
View attachment 45684

View attachment 45685

5. Ball Joint Advisory on Last MOT ... This one is very slack and might be the reason for the suspension knocking.
View attachment 45686

6. Control Arm Inserted ... Used the old bolt to drive the control arm into the rear Console bushing.
View attachment 45687

View attachment 45689

8 Subframe ... you can see the steering rack on top and where the 16mm bolts locate through from the bottom into it.
View attachment 45690

View attachment 45691

10. Don't Panic ... if the captive nut turns when you reinsert the 18mm bolts to the chassis :eek:
The first side was completed in no time but thought I'd broken something when undoing the back 18mm Console bolt on the other side ... the bolt was turning but not coming out ... a little bit of investigating and discovered that clever Audi insert the captive nut through a slot in the chassis, I had managed to dislodge it from the plastic tray that pushes into the slot ... a little bit of jiggling with a small screwdriver held the nut in place until the bolt was unscrewed and after the nut was placed back in the tray it held in place when it was reassembled.

Thanks Robin Cox ...
There are two of these threaded plates on each side ... the console bolts locate into these.
Part numbers:
View attachment 45692

None of the bolts are torqued yet and will give them the final 'stretch' when everything is lined up and sitting on four wheels.
A satisfying job all-round and took about five hours for both sides ... including coffee breaks and a nosey on the A2OC forums.
Meyle control arms were used (£62 each), all new bolts from Belfast Audi (£32) and I also bought a two arm puller (£12) and a Draper Ball Joint Separator (£16) to make the job easier.
Thanks for reading ... maybe should put a list together of all the tools that I used to complete the job :)
Some advice on this job would've appreciated please. I'm in the middle of removing both sides of the suspension and wishbones, all off except one big bolt is stuck. The rear bolt that goes through the console on passenger side, 18mm head I think. The problem I have is the square threaded plate is spinning inside the chassis when the bolt is nearly undone, I think there is corrosion on the threads which is making the bolt stick in the plate and spin when the plate is lifted as I trying undo it , sooo, angle grinder poised. Do I cutthroat head off and then with console off ( it's the last bolt holding it on) cut the rest of the bolt off? My only concern is whether the plate will come out with a section of bolt still attached? Anyone had to resort to this method? Cheers

Some advice on this job would've appreciated please. I'm in the middle of removing both sides of the suspension and wishbones, all off except one big bolt is stuck. The rear bolt that goes through the console on passenger side, 18mm head I think. The problem I have is the square threaded plate is spinning inside the chassis when the bolt is nearly undone, I think there is corrosion on the threads which is making the bolt stick in the plate and spin when the plate is lifted as I trying undo it , sooo, angle grinder poised. Do I cutthroat head off and then with console off ( it's the last bolt holding it on) cut the rest of the bolt off? My only concern is whether the plate will come out with a section of bolt still attached? Anyone had to resort to this method? Cheers
Just to follow up, I had another go at spanners and failed, so risked it with the grinder. My concern was that I wouldn't be able to extract the threaded plate through the hole in the chassis with the bolt stub in place. Anyway it's possible. I wouldn't recommend it, but if you're stuck and it's the last bolt it's possible, you are to carefully grind the bolt down until it's a few my from the chassis for it to be short enough, here's the one I got out, it just fitted through the hole. Had there been more sticking out the back of the plate I'd of had to leave it inside the chassis, which wouldn't be good at all. You can feel how much bolt is sticking out the back of the plate through the hole in the chassis, definitely do this before cutting it. I didn't, simply because I was too dim to check!
15759235185421376512436.jpg
1575923560815-945936636.jpg
1575923604031-1930368113.jpg

View attachment 45687

This is a great tip.

Though my (new) control arm was so tight going into the new bush that it started pushing the rubber out on the opposite side, i eased it back and poured some boiling water over the rubber bush thinking it might soften it enough for the control arm to pop in, when i re-tightened it eventually ended up tearing the rubber on the bush, i had the end of the control arm greased and also the inside of the bush, other that take a (last resort) grinder to the end of the control arm i cant really think of any thing other to do.

Ill need another bush for next time.

Any suggestions ?

Last edited:
This is a great tip.

Though my (new) control arm was so tight going into the new bush that it started pushing the rubber out on the opposite side, i eased it back and poured some boiling water over the rubber bush thinking it might soften it enough for the control arm to pop in, when i re-tightened it eventually ended up tearing the rubber on the bush, i had the end of the control arm greased and also the inside of the bush, other that take a (last resort) grinder to the end of the control arm i cant really think of any thing other to do.

Ill need another bush for next time.

Any suggestions ?
I'm sure someone will chip in soon with a solution but mine went back in without any problems ... can't even remember using any grease, just clamped the console in a vice and pushed the new arm into place with the old bolt.

I'm sure someone will chip in soon with a solution but mine went back in without any problems ... can't even remember using any grease, just clamped the console in a vice and pushed the new arm into place with the old bolt.

Thanks for the reply,

The control arm measures roughly 20mm wide at the hex end and they are Ridex brand from Autodoc, i am wondering if they would work better with the bush from the same manufacturer as i used Lemforder bushes.

Last edited:
After contacting autodoc they initially told me one control arm is the wrong part, then when i explained they were identical parts they said both are wrong, i have now started the process of returning them, its made me a bit more suspect of autodoc as when i initially ordered them i made sure i asked an agent and gave the VIN number.

Any suggestions on sourcing some new control arms ?

After contacting autodoc they initially told me one control arm is the wrong part, then when i explained they were identical parts they said both are wrong, i have now started the process of returning them, its made me a bit more suspect of autodoc as when i initially ordered them i made sure i asked an agent and gave the VIN number.

Any suggestions on sourcing some new control arms ?

Hi there ... I bought mine from an eBay supplier, they are Meyle control arms and were £62 each, all new bolts from Belfast Audi (£32) and I also bought a two arm puller (£12) and a Draper Ball Joint Separator (£16) to make the job easier.

Last edited:
I have just done this job on my A2 and it was a total pain. I found that I had two problems when trying to reassemble the control arm into the console bushing. The control arm (mine were cast ones from Quinton Hazel) had a slightly thicker hexagonal part to it (20.5 mm) compared with the one that I took out which was (19.6 mm) but also the bushing itself had gone soft and the rubber was sticky. The bushing was just pressing out the other side when I was installing the control arm. To resolve this I replaced the bushing, ground 1/4 mm off each face of the hexagonal bit, repainted and then used the VW lubricant to press the arm in.

Interestingly the passenger side control arm was absolutely fine and installed no problems.

Last edited:
Hi there ... I bought mine from an eBay supplier, they are Meyle control arms and were £62 each, all new bolts from Belfast Audi (£32) and I also bought a two arm puller (£12) and a Draper Ball Joint Separator (£16) to make the job easier.

Was it these one's ?

Was it these one's ?

From this seller, this is not a recommendation but it's where I bought mine:

Today I ...

Project Resurgam

1. Out with the old.
View attachment 45682

View attachment 45683

View attachment 45684

View attachment 45685

View attachment 45686

View attachment 45687

View attachment 45689

View attachment 45690

View attachment 45691

Thanks Robin Cox ...
Part numbers:
View attachment 45692

Fantastic write up, cheers

Back