FSI Crank tool: really really needed? Any advice generally?

Rusty911

A2OC Donor
If I continue with one (or both) of my FSi's, I'm going to have to do at least one timing belt.

I guess I can turn up the upper locking pins (or use drills)?, I 'think' the crank is simply a visual check across the marks (?).

Has anyone done the job without the crank holding tool, or made one up? To say these two cars are on a knife-edge wouldn't be an exaggeration so I'm not keen to rush out and buy the tool. I do, however, have access to a monster 3/4in drive impact gun which might deal with the 'undo' phase of the operation. I'm aware the bolt is a one-use chap.

I suppose there's no way of doing it without taking the crank pulley off?

Just out of interest, I've asked Euro's for another pair of rear bump stops and no: no group stock at all due to CV-19. They are having all sorts of issues: would you beleive including no Fiesta front brake pads for some models. Yikes! I guess all of those supply issues that haven't really concerned a shut-down world are coming home to roost during this half-way period.

Believe same tool used accross number of engines 3415?
You can fabricate from flat bar, depends how u value your time, we have one but postage may be high?
£24 delivered below

I made up my own to lock the lower crank pulley whilst I undid the nut
Actually undoing it is easy you can a socket and breaker bar and the cars starter motor
Plugs out and great care is needed but often the only way to remove the thread locked bolt
Tightening the new bolt is the issue and hence I made up the tool to lock the pulley
I can send a picture if it helps

The top pins are simply turned 8mm bar but they need to be a good fit unless you have also got the bridging bar for the pins as this eliminates any slip in the holes / pins
Cheers. Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I made up my own to lock the lower crank pulley whilst I undid the nut
Actually undoing it is easy you can a socket and breaker bar and the cars starter motor
Plugs out and great care is needed but often the only way to remove the thread locked bolt
Tightening the new bolt is the issue and hence I made up the tool to lock the pulley
I can send a picture if it helps

The top pins are simply turned 8mm bar but they need to be a good fit unless you have also got the bridging bar for the pins as this eliminates any slip in the holes / pins
Cheers. Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Believe same tool used accross number of engines 3415?
You can fabricate from flat bar, depends how u value your time, we have one but postage may be high?
£24 delivered below

Thank you Gentlemen, I'll take a look at the area in question plus my stock of metal!

As it happens, having just driven the second of them, I might be having a re-think on my A2 strategy. Will potter over the weekend and re-evaluate later on.

Thanks again ?

Back