FSI pistons and other stuff

StefanoP

Hello all,

I have decided that it is about time to try and rebuild the engine of my 2002 FSI, as its cylinder wear is giving trouble and will obviously get worse in the future.
Sadly, no parts like pistons etc seem to be available from Audi in Italy, unless one asks for them to Audi Tradition, with unavoidably stellar prices. Do you know of any reliable source for the parts that will be needed for a complete rebuild, especially pistons /rings etc? Audi (Italy) can supply only the head gaskets...

Thank you very much for any useful information and Merry Christmas to everyone in the A2OC Forum,

Stefano

I'm not trying to dampen your enthusiasm but what state are the cylinder bores in? I believe that you cannot replace the liners in a VW aluminium block, one problem being that you cannot separate the crank from the block, not to mention the non-availability of liners. A S/H engine might be the only option if the bores are worn.

RAB

Stefano, I agree with Rab, but if your bores are still within specification and you can get away with a good honing and new pistons (which come ready-fitted with rings), try Tornau Motoren for the piston assembly with part number 036107065BN. If successful, you will have the satisfaction of having done the job yourself and there is always a risk with a SH engine that it is fairly worn or has its own issues.

This is for a set of 4 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kolbensa...886671?hash=item58fef9820f:g:26cAAOSwGF5eOq92
or this is for one only:

I bought one of their pistons to repair my Project FSI and it has been fine since, my daughter is learning to drive in the car currently. You can see the repair thread with lots of photos here: https://www.a2oc.net/community/index.php?threads/a-2nd-a2-for-me-project-fsi.36577/page-4

For the gasket set I went for an Ajusa set https://www.ebay.com/itm/232943328232
Again it has been fine.

You will need lots of other parts such as big-end bearing cap bolts, cylinder head bolts, cam carrier bolts and if Audi prices are an issue, some are available as pattern parts. Searching by part number is the best way.

Best regards,
Matt

Last edited:
I'm not trying to dampen your enthusiasm but what state are the cylinder bores in? I believe that you cannot replace the liners in a VW aluminium block, one problem being that you cannot separate the crank from the block, not to mention the non-availability of liners. A S/H engine might be the only option if the bores are worn.

RAB
the FSI is a cast iron block--i believe you refer to the 1.4 petrol Rab

the FSI is a cast iron block--i believe you refer to the 1.4 petrol Rab
Yes correct. Yet the 2.0L FSI used in the Mk 5 Golf was aluminium! What determines the material used?

RAB

Yes correct. Yet the 2.0L FSI used in the Mk 5 Golf was aluminium! What determines the material used?

RAB
@RAB ,
So, is a rebore and plus size pistons the way to go with a worn FSI? I'd think that once the engine is in bits, might as well get it bored too.
Mac.

@RAB ,
So, is a rebore and plus size pistons the way to go with a worn FSI? I'd think that once the engine is in bits, might as well get it bored too.
Mac.
It would be if the state of the bores necessitates it, but plus size pistons are not listed by Audi.

RAB

Hi all,

I remember reading somewhere in the tech. documents that the cylinders in the BAD are plasma-coated thus boring them is impossible. I stand to be corrected though. Hence the reason of no oversize pistons.

Regards,
Evros

If @Evripidis is correct, it would be best to get the bores checked out with a boroscope (via plug holes) before considering an engine strip down. If low compression is down to a damaged bore, then the engine is scrap. If bores are good, pistons and rings will give it a new lease of life.
Mac.

If @Evripidis is correct, it would be best to get the bores checked out with a boroscope (via plug holes) before considering an engine strip down. If low compression is down to a damaged bore, then the engine is scrap. If bores are good, pistons and rings will give it a new lease of life.
Mac.
I'm not sure whether a boroscope will allow you to examine in that much detail. A strip down will cost nothing if it's your labour.

RAB

Hello you all and thanks for your comments, of course I'd be interested in a S/H engine if the condition is good enough but in Italy FSIs are very rare and finding one that has been written off in a accident with a good engine is the classic needle in a haystack. Is reboring possible or not? This would be very important to know....
Thanks
Stefano

Good to see you're going to get it rebuilt. I too think i might have read in the technicals about Plasma coated bores. If thats the case it's unlikely the bores are worn as thats the whole idea of using the technique. If they are worn would indicate a total lack of care by previous owners. I think it might be possible to get Plasma Coated bores re- honed?

One question , how do you know you have bore wear?

Good to see you're going to get it rebuilt. I too think i might have read in the technicals about Plasma coated bores. If thats the case it's unlikely the bores are worn as thats the whole idea of using the technique. If they are worn would indicate a total lack of care by previous owners. I think it might be possible to get Plasma Coated bores re- honed?

One question , how do you know you have bore wear?

Hi VDT, I am not sure that I have bore wear, what happens is the compression is very low on 2 of 4 cylinders and barely enough on the other 2. According to my mechanics, who don't have a specific experience on A2 FSIs (saldly, also the local Audi Centre is not much more experienced...) the low C/R could be the bores so usually one goes for a full rebuild looking for oversized pistons to fir in the rectified bores. I don't think that the reason of the low CR could be a sticky ring, it would only one cylinder having this problem, not all 4 of them.
If the bores are really Plasma coated, thus it would be very difficult to find those bores worn so much in a 80,000 miles car, then changing the pistons only could be a viable proposition....I'm just trying to put together some ideas to see what would be better for this tired engine. Thank you,

Stefano

Maybe caked in valves. If I could afford the car being stationary for an arbitrary long period I'd take the head off.

I'd think head removal and then check out valves, bores and if bores are good, pistons/rings is the most sensible, economic first move.
At 80,000 miles, valves, or lifters look the likely culprits to me.
Mac.

That was my reason for me asking, to eradicate any guessing. If you read up on plasma coating it's supposed to be long lasting, so without pulling the whole engine apart, i'd go for head removal and inspect for wear and measure the bores with a special bore micrometer and go from there.

Before you do this have you been using the car over good mileages to establish if it's using oil? Get a compression check, then fill bores with oil and immediately do another check. If there's a difference it would indicate wear in the pistons and or bores.If the difference is negligible it would indicate a good block.

Onto head removal, you can visually inspect the bores and check sideways movement of the pistons at TDC and measure.You may have piston slap which would show up as too much sideways movement.

With head on the bench you can check for valve guide wear, sticking valves, burnt valve seats which would be my guess at the most likely culprits. I've read about petrol engines suffering with stuck valves at higher mileages so it's not uncommon. You could be lucky and just require a head rebuild ie; valve seats recut, new valves, guides and hydraulic lifters. ?

Plasma coating was only used on alloy blocks, as an alternative to conventional cast iron liners. It wasn't in common use when the A2's were being produced.

RAB

I decided to have a look and see where I read about the coating and in the relevant menu in ELSA I found the following:

Capture.PNG

So @RAB is correct in saying that the BAD bores are not plasma coated. The table above does indeed list oversize pistons and the respective bores.

Evros

Hello,
following several threads to fix the compression issue of my FSI (the mechanics said they did check the valves and in their opinion it's not them...), I found that it is not possible to buy oversize pistons to have my block rebored. Or am I wrong? On eBay I found some normal pistons but apparently not oversize. This baffles me, how can Audi supply only normal pistons? Thanks to anyone who could tell me where I could find some oversize pistons; I could have them made on order but the cost would be nearly £600...

All the best
Stefano

Back