FSI Rear Brake Pipe Assistance Required

andyl222

My first day with A2OC. My wife and I both run an A2, she’s had hers from new (1.4 SE) and I’ve recently bought a 1.6 FSI. I’ve run into a problem with the rear brake pipes, they are badly corroded and need replacing, the problem is I can’t seem to source the part anywhere. Even worse the guy who found the problem says I may as well scrap it if you can’t get the part! I don’t think this is right and I must be able to find them somewhere or get some made up? Any help is gratefully received.

Greetings Andy,

Welcome to the Club, here you will find an abundance of information for most if not all things A2. We have many frequently visiting members who will go out of their way to respond to questions and provide advice.

Study the welcome email you should have received as it’ll explain about account upgrade which grants you Market Forum access, you’ll then have full functionality of our pages and it should enhance the overall experience. Whilst in the Market Forums you will be able to place Wanted advertisements along with seeing what other parts (and complete A2’s) that are available for purchase.

I’m personally not much of a mechanically minded member so really would know if the FSI has a different brake set up at the rear to that of the TDI90 which also has discs at the rear. There are quite a few FSI members who will be along shortly to welcome you and give you some advice.

Welcome again.

Kind regards,

Tom

Thank you for the warm welcome Tom. I have done the account upgrade you mention. I will await any advice gladly

My first day with A2OC. My wife and I both run an A2, she’s had hers from new (1.4 SE) and I’ve recently bought a 1.6 FSI. I’ve run into a problem with the rear brake pipes, they are badly corroded and need replacing, the problem is I can’t seem to source the part anywhere. Even worse the guy who found the problem says I may as well scrap it if you can’t get the part! I don’t think this is right and I must be able to find them somewhere or get some made up? Any help is gratefully received.
I was still able to buy the longer brake pipe directly from Audi a couple of weeks ago but the short one was no longer available ... I bought two of the longer ones and rebent and cut one of them for the nearside ... it's not difficult, just need to buy a cheap flare tool and re use the fittings. Hope it works out for you!

I would also be using a different mechanic if you were advised to scrap because of a brake pipe.

Thanks Tomscar, I think you are right. I will approach my local Audi dealer, or did you manage to get online?

Thanks Tomscar, I think you are right. I will approach my local Audi dealer, or did you manage to get online?
No Andy, I ordered over the phone at my local dealer with the part numbers and went to collect a couple of days later ... about £40 for two of the longer ones ... you could also buy a roll of pipe on Amazon and a flare tool for less and make your own.

There are many companies who make custim brake lines, if all else fails. It does sound like your "mechanic" doesn't want your custom.
See if any of your fellow Cornish A2OC members can point you in the direction of a good indie.
Worth adding an approximate location (nearest town perhaps), too.
Mac.

Presume they are rigid pipes incorporating a flexi? In which case its possible to simply remove and replace the corroded metal with fresh cunifer (hate copper tbh) unless its rotted right up to the flexi preventing a repair

Presume they are rigid pipes incorporating a flexi? In which case its possible to simply remove and replace the corroded metal with fresh cunifer (hate copper tbh) unless its rotted right up to the flexi preventing a repair
Thanks Howey, it is rotted up to the flexi

There are many companies who make custim brake lines, if all else fails. It does sound like your "mechanic" doesn't want your custom.
See if any of your fellow Cornish A2OC members can point you in the direction of a good indie.
Worth adding an approximate location (nearest town perhaps), too.
Mac.
Thanks PlasticMac, I will update my location and I am beginning to think you are right!

No Andy, I ordered over the phone at my local dealer with the part numbers and went to collect a couple of days later ... about £40 for two of the longer ones ... you could also buy a roll of pipe on Amazon and a flare tool for less and make your own.
Thanks Tomscar, that’s really helpful.

In theory you could simply add a standard short flexi of a similar length so it sure is possible

Assuming that the issue is with your FSI which has rear calipers, here's a link to the parts catalogue to help identify the required pipes:
https://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/audi+a2/a2/2003-248/6/611-611036/
Your profile indicates that your car is from 2004, so I have selected the later VIN number range, but the earlier models use the same parts. The option code PR-1KD relates to rear discs, so it's items (8) & (9) that you will need.

As others have said, you should be able to order from a dealer, or contact @CreweAudi on here and Tom will be able to check against your reg number and advise availability.
Alternatively, measure the length of your existing pipes and have then made up by a local motor factors. They will need to see the end fittings to provide correct size and you then simply bend them to shape and fit to the existing clips.
May be worth changing the flexible hoses at the same time as you may find that these are showing signs of age and could be difficult to remove due to corrosion of fittings/brackets.

Good Evening Andy,

Welcome, from another Andy (FSI owner) there are a few of us on here.

You have two problems.

The first one is easily solved, dispense with the services of your mechanic. Any standard mechanic should be skilled in making up brake lines, shocking and disgraceful that scrapping the car was raised, your custom is not wanted.

The second one is item 8 (left rear) referenced in Catnips's excellent post above appears to be no longer available, it will have to made up. Worth checking this with Tom at Crewe Audi on here.

Item 9 appears to be available but not cheap at about £75, you might as well have both made up.

Andy

A8Z0 611 764 P ... I bought two of them from Audi dealers in Belfast £17.56 each plus VAT a couple of weeks ago ... maybe different part number for the FSI?

A8Z0 611 764 P ... I bought two of them from Audi dealers in Belfast £17.56 each plus VAT a couple of weeks ago ... maybe different part number for the FSI?
Yes different part number for rear drum brakes. If you look at the 7zap link Catnip posted ending in P is PR-1KB = Rear Drum Brakes.

Andy

Thank you everyone for your advice and welcome, it didn’t feel right that it was the end of the road for the car, just because a part is no available off the shelf! I will happily take all the advice and go and make some enquiries. Thank you again, it’s been a great experience so far to be in the group.
Good Evening Andy,

Welcome, from another Andy (FSI owner) there are a few of us on here.

You have two problems.

The first one is easily solved, dispense with the services of your mechanic. Any standard mechanic should be skilled in making up brake lines, shocking and disgraceful that scrapping the car was raised, your custom is not wanted.

The second one is item 8 (left rear) referenced in Catnips's excellent post above appears to be no longer available, it will have to made up. Worth checking this with Tom at Crewe Audi on here.

Item 9 appears to be available but not cheap at about £75, you might as well have both made up.

Andy
Hi Andy, thanks for the post. I have messaged Tom and will take your advice, much appreciated

Back