FSI recommendations - front/rear discs and pads and shocks

Darren C

Admin Team
Evening folks,

I'm starting to look at options to improve brake performance and tighten up the handling a touch. I know there are various threads on here, but I'd like to gauge latest thinking if I may.

With OSS and only 32k on the clock, I'll likely retain the original springs. After the failure of the FSDs on our previous car, KONI are out, but I hear good things about the Monroe Reflex? Are these still the recommended alternative or are there new kids on the block? I'll also be using Tom's definitive list and replacing other components and, at the advice of Murdo and Dave, opting for Meyle drop links.

Re: brakes, ATE, Mintex, Brembo are often voted for as are ceramic pads. I'm looking for good stopping power and reduced brake dust, but would prefer not to have to stamp on them to get them to work effectively each time I take the car out.

I'm not in any urgent rush, but would like to start assembling parts. Any advice and or links very much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Darren

Hi Darren as you maybe aware my Fsi has koni fsd with Witec springs and it was great and o think steve b will agree it handled very well. You are rightfully Cautious in going fsd again as they really do like to corrode for a premium product.
When doing the suspension on the rest of our a2’s I went for monroes as they are a very similar construction in the way they operate internally but at a better price point.
I have just received my ate power discs and ceramic pads and look forward to getting them on the car with a reduced brake dust problem I hope.
Hope that helps.

One other point Darren is your springs may not have many miles on them but are now a good few years old. I opted for H&R springs but they are very stiff - but I notice they now offer a softer option sport spring.

Thanks Mike, very helpful indeed. Whilst I'd like to lower and stiffen the ride for handling, the OSS and poor quality potholed UK roads suggest it may not be a wise option, but take your point re: aged springs. I'll have a look about. Thanks again.

The weitec springs are not harsh and probably offer a more compliant ride than your sport springs. The weitec are now sold under st sport springs and are bright yellow.

I fitted Monroe reflex to my car a couple of years ago and they were very good. I also have some spare springs for an FSI (rear I think) in very good condition. I am going to the social next month and the springs are free if they are any use to you or another member.

I fitted Monroe reflex to my car a couple of years ago and they were very good. I also have some spare springs for an FSI (rear I think) in very good condition. I am going to the social next month and the springs are free if they are any use to you or another member.

Thanks Conrad, very helpful. Re: the stock rears, were they off an FSI with OSS can you recall? If not, chances are they are different. Very kind of you.

The weitec springs are not harsh and probably offer a more compliant ride than your sport springs. The weitec are now sold under st sport springs and are bright yellow.

Sorry Mike, I missed this. I had the Weitec - FSD combination on my/your TDI, very compliant, but not really sporty IMHO. They may well be suited to an A2 with OSS mind. Don't forget mine is an SE mate, not a Sport.

no, the only way most of the Germans go is Bilstein. The question being B4 (slightly stiffer than stock), B6 (quite a bit stiffer than stock) or B8 (lower and stiffer than stock). I'd avoid the UltraGT, you've no idea waht the quality of the shocks is going to be. I'd seriously consider trying to find a H&R ARB kit if you can - that will feel like it's improved things an awful lot IMO.

- Bret

no, the only way most of the Germans go is Bilstein. The question being B4 (slightly stiffer than stock), B6 (quite a bit stiffer than stock) or B8 (lower and stiffer than stock). I'd avoid the UltraGT, you've no idea waht the quality of the shocks is going to be. I'd seriously consider trying to find a H&R ARB kit if you can - that will feel like it's improved things an awful lot IMO.

- Bret

Thanks Bret.

Potentially the easiest way to improve braking on cars of our vintage is to replace the brake hoses with either standard rubber or as I and some others have done with stainless over braided lines.

M

Ok so old thread but picking up as I've just fitted sport monroe back/front with weitec/st -30s.

I've moved from coilovers set at the same height and was looking for a slightly more compliant ride but I'm a little surprised how far the compliance has progressed...to the point I'm now a little concerned it's too soft. That's what using coilovers does to you :)

Are monroe sports or springs contributing and anything else I should be looking at to reduce roll (aside from rear arb)

Just done my brake discs and pads all round (fsi), drilled and grooved discs with ceramic pads up front.
Total parts cost was about £170 and the job was easy enough to do, so well pleased.
brakes.jpg

The braking ability is now phenomenal, and no more brake fade either. happy days..
Note: Bought Discs + rear pads off eBay and Ceramic Front Pads direct from Germany.

Last edited:
Nice discs.I really like the coated black hubs. Can you post the ebay link for them? Be interested to know how they last without rusting.

Nice discs.I really like the coated black hubs. Can you post the ebay link for them? Be interested to know how they last without rusting.
They came with a (semi-covered) black phosphate coating, then I overpainted this with VHT black + VHT clear coat, hopefully to hold back the rusting.
I even put more VHT paint in the holes and grooves.. Saddo that I am.. ?

Fronts discs: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROTORDIS...CS-VW-FOX-BORA-SEAT-LEON-AUDI-A3/362204042382
Front Pads: ATE Ceramic, cost about £62 in ebay/uk, got direct from Germany for about £52 delivered.

Rear discs: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REAR-DRI...DI-A1-A3-TFSI-TT-1-8T-8N-QUATTRO/232548900532
Rear Pads: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fits-Aud...ity-DON-Rear-Disc-Brake-Pads-Set/362563085020

Last edited:
Have to agree with the Koni comments, they are appalling build quality for the money and will never buy anything Koni again.

Bilstein is definitely the correct route to go.
B6 + ARBS and Standard Sport springs has to be the best all rounder. ride and handling.
Good roll bars improve handling and body control much more than stiff springs and all with much less detriment to the ride.

Brakes.. why not use Fabia VRS/ Ibiza FR front hubs and wheel bearings to upgrade to 288mm front brakes (or even 312mm) ? add some braided lines, decent fluid, mild performance pads and I'd think stopping power would be vastly improved.

Been driving the A2 recently. It's glorious - zero roll at 40km/h round a right angle. Tyres are the limiting factor, they're old and hard.
B8 +Eibach + H&R ARBs + Superpro dogbone + Meyle HD droplinks + 195/50r15 on 7Jx15 Team Dynamics Pro Race1.2. ATE discs and pads - first brake from cold is good, but it gets much better as they warm. From good to great is just two stops.

- Bret

Back