Fuel filler flap - process of elimination.

Ken Long

As seems to be reasonably common pressing the fuel filler flap release button fails to release the fuel filler flap. It has worked since the car has been in our ownership but now seems to have stopped altogether.

After browsing the forum I have checked and tried a few things:

The Flap Release button does click when pressed, but there is no noise from any sort of relay that I can hear.
The interior light doesn't come on when I open the drivers door.
The "door open" warning doesn't show on the dash.
Neither the Alarm mode button or the Flap Release button are illuminated when the door is open.
If i manually operate the flap from inside the boot it pops open easily.
I have sprayed WD40 in to the latch area of the drivers door but it doesn't seem to have nade any difference.

From all of this would I be right in thinking that the microswitch in the door lock has gone rather than the actual release switch itself?
Is this a reasonably straightforward job to replace or will I end up cursing the day of my birth? And what do I need to order and where from?

Afternoon Ken,
From all of this would I be right in thinking that the microswitch in the door lock has gone
Absolutely yes, from your explanation I'd say you are on the money here. A replacement locking module is required or possibly the solder points need to be reflowed. It could also be the rubber cover/cap on the microswitch that has worn away. Either way the module needs to be removed from the door.

To remove the lock module requires the door card, aluminium plate and the window frame to be removed. Quite a straight forward task though which is covered elsewhere on the Clubs pages. I remember using a good guide when I first done this back in 2017.

I'll have a look around for you shortly or provide a write up this evening when I have more time to assist you, for now though it probably worth searching through the How To section as I think this is where I started.

Kind regards,

Tom

Hi Ken,

I’m happy to add this to the list of jobs for when I see you in the coming weeks, should you wish.

Cheers,

Tom

I had the same prob;em Timmus fixed mine ... recommended .........after ending up with the window regulator in a birds nest on another car where I had a go myself . Tom does it without touching the regulator. removed the lock and re soldered the joints. Loads of great info and chat too whilst he is working on your car

I'm up at Tom's in just over a week getting a new stereo/Bluetooth fitted, and the door switch has been added to the jobsheet!

So glad I got Tom to deal with this today. Me taking the door apart would almost certainly have been a disaster. Had I miraculously managed to do that then getting the lock apart would have been a catastrophe. The diagnosis and repair of the tiny fractured solder nodule in the lock itself would have been about as likely as me successfully flying a Chinook.

TL/DR: Go to @timmus.

For interest the filler flap release on my car is also not working. Going through the basic diagnostic checks there is no door open display which suggests the door micro switch is the culprit.

Over the weekend I made a discovery that it is possible to see the door open display when the ignition is still switched on and the door is just off the latch i.e. it's not wide open but just open.

So I reached down and pressed the fuel button and hey presto I can hear the solenoid release in the rear !

The end conclusion is still that the door microswitch is the likely source but at least in the meantime I have a way to open the flap once I can get the rod mechanism re assembled to the solenoid in the boot !

A visitation to @timmus just up the road in Lancashire is a suggestion. He knows a thing or two about microswitches on A2's.

PS Defo take up Steve's offer of a spare rod.
Yes, I have been in contact with Timmus as he is very highly recommended through this forum ; not yet been able to find a date that suits to make the journey (further) up North.
Will check availability again in New Year.

Back