Fusion

55Stars

Very recently, I started a project with a couple of friends. Three days in and this is where we are....

I got into A2's only just over a year ago after finding out about its Audi Space Frame through my love of my 2002 Audi S8, which shares the same ASF badge!
Audi ASF badge.jpg

I've been into the idea of electric conversions for ages and follow Robert Llewellyn's Fully Charged. I went to Fully Charged Live at Silverstone in June 2019 and was fascinated with the electric car conversion area. Seeing the converted cars was inspiring and I immediately thought again of the A2. A week later I bought one - a 1.4tdi 90 with OSS, 5 seats and horrible steel wheels with hubcaps. This is not the Fusion car. It's my current daily driver, but now on coilovers, nice alloys, without an EGR and with a remap. I'll put some photos up in another thread.

A year later, I've bought another four A2's and Fusion is Number 3 (Thanks A2Steve!). Number 4 is now my Mum's car - a one owner 1.4 Petrol SE with low miles and in great condition. Number 5 just arrived and is a keeper - 2001 1.4 Petrol Sport with OSS, rear electric windows, heated seats, winter pack headlamp washers.

Back to Fusion... I was chatting to a family friend, Rhys, about my electric wet dreams and he said he'd love to get involved (I know that sounds disgusting, but it really is about cars). He's done loads of petrol based conversions on VW's in the past and loves a challenge. Another friend, Dan, was also massively interested in the idea and he has all the skills to sort out any complicated electronic hacking. He's also responsible for all the artistic content. At the end of May we met at my office carpark with Fusion and hatched the plan to convert it using a Nissan Leaf motor/drive and battery pack.

It took ages to find the right one, but on 13th July I placed a deposit on a 2017 30kWh Nissan Leaf Tekna with 25,000 miles and it was delivered two days later. A fully working car, by the way, just so that we had everything... (as if!)

For anyone that noticed, the car at the beginning of the video is actually Number 4 - my Mum's - but it's the same colour as Fusion and was used for the photo shoot because it actually drove - unlike Fusion. We did the intro in the video shoot at Whitchurch Mental Hospital, Cardiff - quite fitting really, given the plans!

On 30th July, Fusion was delivered to Rhys' workshop and I drove the Leaf there on its last ever journey. Over the next two days, we took out the A2 1.4tdi 90 engine and box (these are now available), exhaust and other bits to make way for the motor. We started stripping the complicated Leaf front end and by the end of day 2, we'd also removed the massive 30kWh battery pack. Holidays stopped any progress until yesterday, when we finally got the motor/drive unit out and very crudely mocked it up in the A2 "engine bay", sorry "motor bay"! Before we signed off for the day, we thought it a good idea to open the battery pack for a look - that's me at the end of the video.

Oh no, what have we started...

Huw

Well you've beaten me to it for the first UK A2 electric car! I'm still at the research stage and have been looking at the numerous EV conversions in mainland Europe. So far identified 20 dating from 2010. See https://www.a2oc.net/community/index.php?threads/do-you-want-an-electric-a2.34045/post-408186

I haven't seen any that are doing what you are doing but with EVs now been in volume production (albeit low volumes) for 10 years, the option of using a complete donor car must make it more feasible provided the battery is OK and it meets your range and charge rate requirements.

I'll be interested to know how many cells and their weight that you will be using and the expected winter/summer motorway range.

I wish you the best of good luck. I will follow your progress with great interest.

Last edited:
I heard about this from the boss at Carmichael's body shop in Whitchurch, he said you'd been buying up A2s....

Are there many other Forum members in Cardiff?

I heard about this from the boss at Carmichael's body shop in Whitchurch, he said you'd been buying up A2s....

Are there many other Forum members in Cardiff?
CarMichaels... oh dear! Never trust Mike if you want something kept quiet. He's been a really close mate of mine for 30 years, so I should know him by now!

There's a bloke called Paul who has three A2's approx. 50 metres from my office in Whitchurch who got in touch with me yesterday on facebook. I'd spotted one of his cars but had no idea he was a fan or that he had more stashed in his garage. He said he'd spotted two of mine.

Where are you? I did spot two A2's in Park Avenue

I'm over in Rhiwbina, not far from Mike. I only have one at the moment... can't see that being the case for long as I am already looking for a better one.

Mine is a red colour storm and has a very "lived in appearance". Hard to know whether it's worth spending too much so I am just going to run for a couple of months and see what breaks

Another afternoon on Fusion today. We mocked up some engine mounts in cardboard and started stripping the battery pack.

All of the seats and rear carpets were removed so we could start to plan where the batteries will go.

It's almost as though the A2 was designed to have batteries fitted in the floors - just not our batteries! They might, just might squeeze in.....

Well there was rumour that Audi had intended the A2 as an EV, hence the service flap for charging and the hidden floor. These are just rumours though, I’ve never seen hard evidence of it.

Well there was rumour that Audi had intended the A2 as an EV, hence the service flap for charging and the hidden floor. These are just rumours though, I’ve never seen hard evidence of it.
We are planning on utilising both - they seem to be ideally placed - you'll have to pop in and have a look at some point! We discovered yesterday that the fuel pipes on the A2 had been disconnected under the rear seat and the fuel sender thingy was all loose - not sure if there had been a fuel problem that had caused it to be parked up - not that it matters with what we're doing. We haven't removed the fuel tank yet. We hope that's coming out in our next session and then we'll be cutting a huge hole in the floor above it in-between the rails where we hope to mount half of the battery pack. All the measurements seem to work...

Great progress so far. Yes i'd love to come down and see it, will wait until its nearing completion though.

Really interested. Up in Lydney so not too far away. This looks a better option to an auto gearbox conversion for my wife. I guess Spud could be a donor, an FSI with OSS. Would love to pop down and see what you're doing, maybe next time I visit A2Steve to part with yet more money

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Really interested. Up in Lydney so not too far away. This looks a better option to an auto gearbox conversion for my wife. I guess Spud could be a donor, an FSI with OSS. Would love to pop down and see what you're doing, maybe next time I visit A2Steve to part with yet more money

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Give me a shout when you're planning your next trip!

^^ nothing's proven about that drive, there are major suspicions and the car mysteriously burned to the ground not long afterwards. Nothing has come from the "special battery technology".

- Bret

Agreed Bret. According to my research there were 2 variants: 63 kWh and 115 kWh. At that time [2010] most A2 EV batteries were around 20kWh and weighed c200Kg. So my guess is that battery (even being "improved") must of filled the boot and the shocks must of been really upgraded. Probably had special exemption as the some EV conversions in Germany have reduced the approved seating capacity due to the increased weight.

Update: 12 September 2020
We have now stripped the battery pack down to it's components. Here's a sneaky peak...

Fusion is stripped out inside and we have identified where we think the batteries will go. There are 24 packs. It'll likely be 4 packs either side directly under the front seats, two packs either side in the rear footwells (we may increase that if they are not too high to compromise rear passenger comfort). We can fit 10 where the fuel tank was. The last two can go in one of these places: under the floor where the rear exhaust box was, under the drivers feet, or in the front somewhere.

We have a delay on our motor mounts - the welder! I can weld, Rhys can weld, but we thought we shout get a proper welder to do a proper job. Anyway, he's not been welding much! We need the motor mounted so we can move the car around, get the rear mount/balancer mocked up and go about measuring the drive shafts.

We will need to move things around to fit...
M Well that won't work!.jpg

Long way to go...
M Long way to go.jpg

Let's get this apart...
M Let's get this apart.jpg

Empty Leaf Pack
M Empty Leaf Pack.jpg

Empty Leaf
M Empty Leaf!.jpg

Testing, stripping, labelling...
M Testing, stripping, labelling.jpg

Back