Gatwick Airport

H-M3

Hi ladies and Gents,

hope all is well. I have just managed to scrape a family holiday to Turkey, to slim down the extortionate price I had to book flight outbound from Stanstead and return via Gatwick as there is around £400 difference otherwise!

Now, I normally would just take my car and park at airport if it’s one location, can anyone suggest any ideas please? I fly out on 29/8 and return on the 7/9 at 01:20 UK time! Also, with a 2 year old. Anyone recommend a taxi firm that are reasonable, need to get back to East London.

Thanks

Park your car at Gatwick, then get the National Express coach to Stansted, it takes over 3 hours and is about £25. Car is then at Gatwick for your return

Gatwick to Stansted by coach is an utterly miserable experience, involving travelling first from Gatwick to Heathrow, then from Heathrow to Stansted. It takes forever, and is not that cheap either; National Express are currently quoting prices up to £46 per person for the date in question.

If I wanted to park my car at Gatwick, I'd be looking to get a cab from Gatwick up to Stansted. A quick check online suggests that prices currently start at £75, and the journey should only take 80 minutes.

Last edited:
Another option is have someone drop you off at Stanstead and collect you from Gatwick even if it is in your own car. Probably cheaper than parking it at one of the airports and cheaper than a taxi between the airports.

Managed to get my brother to drop me off to Stanstead but he has early shift on my return day so can’t pick me up. 01:20 landing so will be around 2am before I get out so can’t really ask many people🙁

Park your car at Gatwick, then get the National Express coach to Stansted, it takes over 3 hours and is about £25. Car is then at Gatwick for your return
Thanks. If I park my car at Gatwick from the 28th Aug it’s quite a lot so better getting Taxi. I used to have a friend who owned a business there and would park at his forecourt but he sold his business few years ago

Great your brother can drop you in Stanstead. So all I suggest is a day or two before you are due to fly drive to Gatwick and put the car in a long term car park and return home, then your brother could take you to Stanstead unless he was taking you in your car.

Not that I trust meet and greet but I doubt you could drop off in Stanstead and be greeted in Gatwick. Wonder if a car shipping company would quote you a sensible price to collect your car from Stanstead airport area and drop it for you near Gatwick airport?

Luckily my brother has his own car so my car will be free. Looked at Gatwick price, it’s quite steep.

One thing to consider is several Gatwick hotels let you park for free if you stay one night. Stay before is impractical but on your return stay in the hotel get some rest then leave mid morning. Check what they can offer you and at least another option rather than just car park.

Does anyone know if there is free parking near Gatwick? Was thinking parking car there before I travel and then on return get a taxi to car??

Back