Gear box oil

This is the stuff you need

part number on bottle?

F9859ADB-FBA5-4218-A467-3A0E24F4ECCE.png

I bought this (recommended by another member though don't remember who), maybe you could compare spec...

Last edited:
I don’t think I did recommend it as I always use the vag oil part number ending in A2 as in the earlier post
That is not to say that it is not ok though

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i used castrol something when i changed mine - as likely it is on original oil sewage would probably work better judging by the state mine was in when i changed it!

Only ever use genuine VAG oil in the gearbox. It's not expensive and it's made for the car, as opposed to being compatible with the car. Gearboxes are fussy things and as it's a job you'll only ever do twice at most in the life of ownership, do it with the right stuff.

Only ever use genuine VAG oil in the gearbox. It's not expensive and it's made for the car, as opposed to being compatible with the car. Gearboxes are fussy things and as it's a job you'll only ever do twice at most in the life of ownership, do it with the right stuff.
You know this something I have not done on my car yet - is it easy to do?

You know this something I have not done on my car yet - is it easy to do?

the fill plug is at on side of the gearbox housing - just behind the front bumper - i used a lil hose/pipe with funnel to fill it seemed to be easiest method.

to drain need to undo wishbone mount (just the 3 bolts and loosen the one holding the bracket on to move it out of way) then drain oil to a pan, i think it was 17mm hex bits needed to undo/do the plugs - have a torque wrench ready as mine were tight as a nun(to be fair it did smell like sewage so would assume 2005 vintage audi gearbox oil 150k miles later). Don't overtorque these - i think supposed to be 20nm(off the top of my head likely wrong). as they will keep going in and strip etc.

pretty straight forward really - just fill until it is full and oil starts dripping down the fill hole a little plug her back up and done. As i suspect most are on original oil i can't recommend enough doing it as oil is only about 20£ and it gets proper disgusting with the "maintenance free" maintenance interval for it.

the fill plug is at on side of the gearbox housing - just behind the front bumper - i used a lil hose/pipe with funnel to fill it seemed to be easiest method.

to drain need to undo wishbone mount (just the 3 bolts and loosen the one holding the bracket on to move it out of way) then drain oil to a pan, i think it was 17mm hex bits needed to undo/do the plugs - have a torque wrench ready as mine were tight as a nun(to be fair it did smell like sewage so would assume 2005 vintage audi gearbox oil 150k miles later). Don't overtorque these - i think supposed to be 20nm(off the top of my head likely wrong). as they will keep going in and strip etc.

pretty straight forward really - just fill until it is full and oil starts dripping down the fill hole a little plug her back up and done. As i suspect most are on original oil i can't recommend enough doing it as oil is only about 20£ and it gets proper disgusting with the "maintenance free" maintenance interval for it.
Thank you for that! Yes am dreading to think whether mine is still on original oil 228k ?

Thank you for that! Yes am dreading to think whether mine is still on original oil 228k ?

when i emptied mine it looked and smelled like swamp sewage - that was 150k. also had bits that looked like tapioca balls with some shrapnel dirt/mud possibly. After couple weeks replaced again and it did look pretty poor again. Plan to do another flush/refill in a few months and should be alright leaving it.

I didn't notice any change in smoothness/changing gears from it but i can't imagine that oil was doing any better than sewage...

when i emptied mine it looked and smelled like swamp sewage - that was 150k. also had bits that looked like tapioca balls with some shrapnel dirt/mud possibly. After couple weeks replaced again and it did look pretty poor again. Plan to do another flush/refill in a few months and should be alright leaving it.

I didn't notice any change in smoothness/changing gears from it but i can't imagine that oil was doing any better than sewage...
Wow thanks! I will put on my list of things to do ????

Do you use and additive to flush or you mean just new oil repeatedly?
All I did was empty the old gearbox oil

Let it drain for 15 minutes

Then I put the Audi gearbox oil in and jobs a good one ?

Then drive for 10k miles and replace it again and then it will be all clean

you won’t get all the old stuff out because how the gearbox sits but you will get 90% of the old stuff out

please only use Audi oil and not any other oil

it’s £17.50 for 2 litres

Thanks

Back