Gear stick badge.

simufly

A2OC Donor
United-Kingdom
Are the plastic gear knob badges available on their own? I need a new insert for a leather SE knob.
Now that's something you don't hear everyday!

I've got (possibly) the same issue on my project car - the "chrome" ring on the top of the gear knob has disintegrated over time releasing sharp shards of chromed plastic right into the palm of my gear-changing hand. I break them off when I can but not getting better, just going further around the circle from time to time.. Assume the badge needs replacing. I remember in one of the 6-speed gearbox threads that a badge swap was mentioned (possibly swapping a C5 A6 6-speed badge into a similar leather A2 knob to convert knob from 5 to 6 speed), but can't find it at the moment. Any thoughts?

I used a similar one to this. 5 speed not 6. Took original one apart to reuse the gaiter and fitted the upper part over it.

1590876059646.png

I've got (possibly) the same issue on my project car - the "chrome" ring on the top of the gear knob has disintegrated over time releasing sharp shards of chromed plastic right into the palm of my gear-changing hand. I break them off when I can but not getting better, just going further around the circle from time to time.. Assume the badge needs replacing. I remember in one of the 6-speed gearbox threads that a badge swap was mentioned (possibly swapping a C5 A6 6-speed badge into a similar leather A2 knob to convert knob from 5 to 6 speed), but can't find it at the moment. Any thoughts?
My friend is a model-maker and turned me a solid aluminium top section from a suitable diameter aluminium bar which I purchased on Ebay. I think I've still got it? So it's permanent and can be polished to a very bright finish. Maybe you could go this way? You just need to find someone with a lathe ...

David

Excellent work by @timmus in the linked thread.
I am too having a disintegrating chrome ring as @Robin_Cox and I wonder where to find a five speed badge , rather than the six speed, or are the mentioned A6 also having five speeds versions?

Back