Information Gearbox oil change on 1.6FSI - tools & oil type?

unipower

Hi All
After 91 000 miles & 10 years I plan to change the gearbox oil. Have done a search on this topic and all the posts seem to be for the diesel models.
Other searches indicate that I need a '27mm A/F' spline drive to remove the filler plug, but no info about draining (plug position and tool req'd).
I believe oil spec for the diesel 'box is G060 726 A2 - again not sure about 1.6FSI.
Transmission is GCD code, which has 02TR designation. 02T gearbox basic spec says 1.9 litres and I assume this still applies.
Anyone done this job and can offer any advice please?

Mark

I'm having mine done at the same time as a longlife service on Friday.

17mm hex head IIRC (standard VW!), 2l of fluid should be enough. Open filler before drain to make sure you can fill it again. I have 1.4 not 1.6, but it's the same box. Filling is a pig, some kind of straw / pipe is essential.

- Bret

Last edited:
If you order the gearbox oil from an Audi dealer they will supply the correct spec based on your chassis number.
I think the petrol gearbox oil spec is G060.726.A2 and for the diesel its G052.726.A2, which is the opposite to your findings - though the 1.9L capacity seems to be correct.

Cheers Spike

Can we have some pictures here? Drain and filler plug at least?
I might consider doing it in near future and photos would be very helpful

Good old Google Translate...

No idea, it has to be made ​​officially never get updated very often so it certainly does not target time. but I quite loose to do it yourself, I would also recommend that there will be thoroughly worked safely. 2 liters of oil will need the FSI, apply for the position requirements below.

Car on stage, underbody paneling from.
Oil drip thingy assume
Oil filler cap on the right side of the gearbox back up. Sits on top of the curve, coming from the drive shafts.
Oil drain plug open front lower left. Look towards left front wheel, use Aggragateträger is something in the way, resulting in a quick nut wrench or ne structure. Oil can (possibly via a magnetic-organisms). Close the bolt.
Open oil filler cap, hose with a funnel leading from there to the top. Auto drain some.
Fill with oil up to watch 2 more eyes, when it begins to drip. The oil level is ok if the oil filler plug with open just as running out of gear.
Close oil filler cap.
Car in gear to run 2 minutes, the oil is thus distributed in the transmission.
Check the oil level again at the filler plug, build everything back together.
Congratulations ...

officially, the oil never needs to be changed, so there's no "rule time". You need 2l of oil for the FSI. See below for more instructions:

Car on the ramps, drop the sound capsule
sort your oilcatcher
the filler pipe is on the right hand side of the 'box at the rear and top. At the top of the curved section where the driveshafts start
the drain plug us at the front bottom left. Towards the front-left wheel; the subframe is in the way so you may need a short nut. Let the oil out; close the plug again.
open the filler, position your tube. Drop the car slightly.
Fill with oil until it starts to dribble out. It should be to the lip of the filler.
Close the filler.
Let the car run for 2 minutes in gear; the oil will distribute itself around the 'box.
Re-check the levels.
That's it.

I hate google translate for this kind of thing, where there's slang involved.

- Bret

Job Done!

Finally done this job - some additional comments (followed guide in previous post - thanks!):-
My 2002 car had the Drain and Fill plugs with 17mm A/F recess, so I bought a simple driver (Laser Drain Plug Key 1575 - £3.60 from local motor store). NOTE The 'electronic' manual shows a splined recess, and I have seen this fitted to some 1.6FSI's - so you will need to check which you need.
I went to the local VW Main Agent and using the Chassis No. they checked the current oil spec online - G 060 726 A2. They did not have it in stock - it seems to be peculiar to Audi? - but managed to get it in about 3hours. £12.50 for 2 * 1litre bottles.
These bottles do not have a spout, so I bought another bottle of gearbox oil which had a spout, and this spout fitted directly on the Audi bottle (see photo).
I can confirm there is no need to remove the pendulum support on the 1.6FSI engine - both drain and filler plugs are visible and accessible (see photos).
I found it best to fit the plastic cap onto the spout while the bottle was manoeuvred into position (parallel to and above the driveshaft). When the spout was close to the filler hole the cap could be removed with minimal spillage. I managed to get about 1.5 litres in.

btw. before draining the oil it appeared that there had been no reduction in level from the original fill.
First photo Nearside: 17mm recess Drain plug visible directly below driveshaft boot
Second photo Offside: 17mm recess Fill plug just visible at the top (half in shadow)
Third photo Bottle with spout and 17mm A/F driver

Hope this helps! Mark

NEARSIDE Drain 17 hex.jpgOFFSIDE Filler 17 hex.jpgFiller and 17mm tool.jpg

Oh well. Im no mechanic at all and these photos don't help me much.
Maybe an arrow pointing at drain and filler plugs?

Back