Gears in the wrong position

DjNeil

Tried to adjust my two gear cables as per YouTube and have ended up with the gear stick positions of1st where 3rd was,3rd where 5th was and two positions for reverse,one where first was and the other in it’s original place but then difficult to get out of reverse,any thoughts appreciated
Thanks
Neil

Never trust youtube without previous knowledge.. Can you reengage the gearbox lock and the gearstick pin and are sure they are correctly locked?

Explain to me exactly how you pinned the gearstick and locked the gearbox as something is wrong.

Explain to me exactly how you pinned the gearstick and locked the gearbox as something is wrong.
I released the springs on the two cables on the tower,I then put a 5mm drill bit through the hole on the side of the stick into the lower locking hole,I then pushed the tower down and locked it and then locked the spring bits on the cables,
It seems odd it’s not all working smoothly

Before you released the springs did you just take out all the slack in the cables or did you either not pull or pull too much. Why did you adjust the cables anyway?

I should stress before anything I say that I am no expert. Looking at this objectively, you are describing a situation where the left-right position of the gearstick is not generating the correct positioning of the shift to engage correctly with the appropriate gear. This equates to movement of the gear selector in the vertical plane into / out of the gearbox, movements generated by the bell crank translating horizontal fore-aft movement of the left-hand (as seen standing in front of the car looking down onto the selector) cable into vertical movement in and out of the box - suggesting that this cable is slightly out of position.

This probably excludes adjustment of the cable that rotates the selector shaft clockwise / anticlockwise (equating to fore/aft movement of the gearstick between odd and even gears) assuming that you are able to shift without inhibition between 1st / 2nd and 3rd / 4th even if the gearlever head is slightly displaced compared to normal.

What happens if you put everything (gear lever and box) into the neutral position, and disengage / re-engage the clamp on this cable without doing anything special? I found that this sufficed to sort out a very notchy change on my newly-fitted PTW box (out of haste due to sudden rainfall rather than by design) so that it is mechanical-feeling like a normal Tdi gearchange rather than being overtly difficult - a millimeter of cable adjustment can sometimes give substantial benefits.

I should stress before anything I say that I am no expert. Looking at this objectively, you are describing a situation where the left-right position of the gearstick is not generating the correct positioning of the shift to engage correctly with the appropriate gear. This equates to movement of the gear selector in the vertical plane into / out of the gearbox, movements generated by the bell crank translating horizontal fore-aft movement of the left-hand (as seen standing in front of the car looking down onto the selector) cable into vertical movement in and out of the box - suggesting that this cable is slightly out of position.

This probably excludes adjustment of the cable that rotates the selector shaft clockwise / anticlockwise (equating to fore/aft movement of the gearstick between odd and even gears) assuming that you are able to shift without inhibition between 1st / 2nd and 3rd / 4th even if the gearlever head is slightly displaced compared to normal.

What happens if you put everything (gear lever and box) into the neutral position, and disengage / re-engage the clamp on this cable without doing anything special? I found that this sufficed to sort out a very notchy change on my newly-fitted PTW box (out of haste due to sudden rainfall rather than by design) so that it is mechanical-feeling like a normal Tdi gearchange rather than being overtly difficult - a millimeter of cable adjustment can sometimes give substantial benefits.
Thanks,I will try that in the morning

Before you released the springs did you just take out all the slack in the cables or did you either not pull or pull too much. Why did you adjust the cables anyway?
I gently pulled the cable back towards the gear lever to take out the slack
The gear shifting was a bit not by is the reason for the adjusting

Repeat the process and hopefully it will improve. Your left / right cable is the one that is furthest out.

Which youtube video did you watch? The one Spike posted is pretty good.

All sorted,I redid it and assume that I never pulled the cables back enough,5th is a bit tight but other than that I’m happy
Thanks for the tips

Back