Gearshift lubrication

Hi everyone,

Just joined after buying an A2 1.4 tdi for my girlfriend. It has open sky roof, six spoke alloys and light metallic blue. Needs TLC. Just enquiring about removing the gearstick. I need to get at the base in order to lubricate the ball & socket. Ideally I want to remove the centre console between the seats. Is there a video or has someone described it?

Just replaced the handbrake cables to the rear drums if anyone wants me to put up a description.

Cheers

Chris

HI Chris, sadly not got a guide to hand but could I ask why you want to lubricate the ball and socket? If the gear change is stiff it is perhaps more likely to be the mechanism on the gearbox (gearbox tower) especially if the drip cup to catch water from the bonnet is not in the right place.

HI Chris, sadly not got a guide to hand but could I ask why you want to lubricate the ball and socket? If the gear change is stiff it is perhaps more likely to be the mechanism on the gearbox (gearbox tower) especially if the drip cup to catch water from the bonnet is not in the right place.

Or it can be gear cables too.

Audi lubricant is number G052142A2 but i also want to know recommended alternatives because of high original lubricant price.

This thread on gearbox oil shows a different part number and was priced at £17.50 for 2L last year

Cheers Spike

highly likely to be the ball under the gear lever especially if the blacj rubber gaitor as perished, the rubber bits end up in the ball and make it feel very stiff
You do need to remove the centre plastics in order to get the ball out of the housing. Clean it all once appart and lubricate before re assembly
It made no end of difference on my high milliage A2 TDI

I fabricated a new rubber gaitor out ofpush bike inner tube and superglue
Paul

highly likely to be the ball under the gear lever especially if the blacj rubber gaitor as perished, the rubber bits end up in the ball and make it feel very stiff
You do need to remove the centre plastics in order to get the ball out of the housing. Clean it all once appart and lubricate before re assembly
It made no end of difference on my high milliage A2 TDI

I fabricated a new rubber gaitor out ofpush bike inner tube and superglue
Paul

Hi Paul,

Yes, I have checked the selector mechanism on the gearbox and it is smooth and working correctly, I also lubricated that too. The cables are also in good order. I can ‘feel’ it is the bottom of the gearstick. I’ll follow your advice and have a look later on. The clutch was replaced three years ago and is working correctly.

What I love about these cars is crawling around underneath it all looks brand new! I think back to old Hillman Hunters and Ford Cortinas where they were rust buckets after ten years!

First A2 I had a few years ago went in for mot and it was up on the ramps. Mot guy called over his apprentice and asked him to estimate how old the car was. Apprenticed asked why a 12 month old car was in for an mot
This did put a smile on my face

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi everyone,

Just joined after buying an A2 1.4 tdi for my girlfriend. It has open sky roof, six spoke alloys and light metallic blue. Needs TLC. Just enquiring about removing the gearstick. I need to get at the base in order to lubricate the ball & socket. Ideally I want to remove the centre console between the seats. Is there a video or has someone described it?

Just replaced the handbrake cables to the rear drums if anyone wants me to put up a description.

Cheers

Chris

I’d love a ‘to do’. Please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

its fairly simple Pinky
You need to remove the centre consol
There is a C shapped metal piece on the top of the gear stick housing, with a single (from memory) torx screw
Remove the screw and C part
This allows the gear stick to be lifted a bit, it will lift out the plastic tube which as a ball shape in its middle
there is a clip on a cross shaft, remove the clip and slide out the shaft, you can then lift the gear leaver out
Mine was full of rubber debrie from the gator above

This is all from memory from about 3 years ago so I may have missed the odd bit, but the main gist is there

Paul

Apologies for bring this thread back to life but did this fix work in the end?

I also have a stiff gerarchange (can feel it moving the stick fore and aft) and the selectors on the box look good so I also suspect the gearstick end. One problem with working from home at the moment is fighting the impulse to go and fix things on the car when I have a few minutes free :)

Back