GloveBox light not working

depronman

A2OC Donor
Hi,
Not sure if this is a common fault, but it was getting to my OCD and simply had to be fixed.
The light in the Glovebox didn't work (yes I tried a new bulb:eek:) also the glovebox would come undone and drop the lid when hitting a pothole. So I removed the glovebox following the guide on A2OC. It would appears that I am not the first one to have removed the glovebox, some butcher had been here before me, one screw missing, one screw mounting broken, 3 screws holding the glovebox in place.
Once removed and out og the car it was apparent that the plastic part which goes between the switch when the lid is closed was broken off and missing.
I have designed and 3D printed a replacement part which clips around the 11mm shaft and is attached with a little superglue having first positioned it to open the switch contacts with the lid in the closed position.
The light now works as designed and no need for a replacement glovebox lid.
There was also an hinge pin missing, which I quickly turn a new one out of a piece of 8mm Dia steel bar, the lid now works perfectly

If anyone else is in need of this 'plastic part' then let me know via PM and I will happily print one off for you and post it, just cover the cost of the P&P which I would estimate at about £2
The plastic printed part is printed at 100% infill meaning that it is solid ABS, being ABS there is also the option to 'chemically weld' to the 11mm shaft (instead of using superglue), the ones printed to date are in Blue ABS (because I had no black ABS in stock), once fitted a little black marker pen will colour the part which is seen as per the last photo

Cheers,
Paul (Depronman) IMG_0356 copy.jpgIMG_0357.jpgIMG_0359.jpgIMG_0360.jpgIMG_0361.jpgIMG_0362.jpgIMG_0363.jpg

Last edited:
Well done Paul. This is a very common problem. I got Tony at A2cars ltd to modify mine with a modern microswitch. The design of the standard switch is very primitive and poor in my opinion. Fitted a new 18SMD light unit too which is the same as the one in the boot.

James

Do you care to put your 3D file on Thingiverse? Would love to collect some spare A2 parts on Thingiverse.

Thanks to all who have responded, it appears to be a rather common fault :)
My 3D printer is running 6 off at the moment, I will respond to PM's tomorrow evening, I just want to confirm with good old Royal mail what they will charge for postage.
Cheers,
Paul

Thanks, Paul.

Please let me know how much materials etc are for each one and I'll add that to postage, I'm very thankful that you're doing this! :)

Kind regards,

Matt.

Do you care to put your 3D file on Thingiverse? Would love to collect some spare A2 parts on Thingiverse.

Hi Gus,
I have had some bad experiences with Thingiverse so short answer is no, I will not be sharing on Thingiverse.
I am offering the printed part to anyone who want one at cost of printing/P&P, however I note that you are in Sweden and therefore postage costs may be higher, so if you need one and have access to a 3D printer that will print ABS, PM me with your email address and I will mail you the STL file ready for printing. I printed in ABS at 100% infill (Solid) and 2200mm/min speed with a 0.3mm layer height for the upper and lower section and 0.2mm layer height for the centre section where the arm is. I also printed on a raft as there is little contact area with the print bed and support material due to the arm overhang
Alternatively I can find out the postage costs to Sweden, just let me know which you prefer

Best regards,
Paul

If you had a bad experience before, I fully understand you. Would love to get the file via e-mail. Thanks! I do have a 3D printer at home, that prints ABS. If a member in Sweden needs this part, I would love to print it for them, if you approve depronman. I'll drop you a PM.

If anyone else is in need of this 'plastic part' then let me know via PM and I will happily print one off for you and post it, just cover the cost of the P&P which I would estimate at about £2..............

Hi Paul,

This post shows the great spirit of this forum and its members. What a very kind gesture, thank you.

If you have the time, I would also like one of these parts, and will drop you a PM.

Cheers
Jeff

great news Matt and thanks for the photos, they all help to explain where and how to fit the replacement plastic part and may well help other out in the future

Did everyone else get there parts? hopefully the answer is yes as they where all posted at the same time

Cheers,
Paul (Depronman)

Hi Paul - I can confirm that I have received mine! Not fitted yet though! Apologies for not letting you know, I think that we missed the small package hiding at the bottom of the post box!!

This weekend for fitting (x2).

Thanks again

Alan

Back