Glow Plug Replacement

Whichever you choose double check & triple check the specification as the ones I bought from ECP were catalogued incorrectly resulting in a damaged engine.

Just go to TPS or the main dealer and buy these and all service items, then hopefully if the employee is competent and you give them the correct reg number any problems should be avoided. From memory i think the last glow plugs i bought were around £8 each from TPS (VAG themselves).

I personally would never use any service items other than genuine Audi products as they are cheap enough anyway. For other items it's a different matter and then ebay can be your friend.

Those Bosch ones seem good Spike, if TPS do those then I'll get them. Most of my service parts are always OE, I know about wrong fitting glow plugs as that same incident happened to a friend, very expensive service that was. I doubt they'll be any more expensive than OE's and just to try something different might make it turn over a little better.

I have the BERU ones in my 90 TDI.

Stealth found an error code whilst having some other work done so I ordered three from ECP, amongst other bits, when ECP had a 30% discount promotion.
They've been in the car for a year now and work a treat.

Is there a limited life expectancy for the glow plug leads too, do they need to be changed at any point?

Sojah, hi

can I ask why you are replacing replacing the glow plugs?
they are not service items and are generaly very reliable.
a suspect glow plug will usually manifest itself with difficult starting, particularly when cold.
you could test them by removing them from the car and applying 12v to them directly, they show glow red hot almost immediately. BE SURE TO TAKE PRECAUTIONS AGAINST BURNS AND FIRE THOUGH!
let us know how you get along.

blue skies
tony

Hi Tony, I replaced the glow plugs three years ago. I bought an OE set from Audi which lasted just over a year, one was badly burned out which was very noticable on cold start as you say so I changed the lot.

Checked glow plugs today.
The results are:
1.5 ohm
2.1 ohm (maybe also need to change?)
132.7 ohm (the winner of this contest)

Can change only the winner or need to change them all? Beru or Bosh?

Also all glow plugs caps are broken. Maybe somebody knows the part number of these caps? Or maybe no need to change?

20191214_144947.jpg
20191214_145238.jpg

Last edited:
I would just change the dead one, there is always a risk that one will shear off when removing, so no point in adding to your troubles.

Glowplug caps are item 20 on the parts list - https://nemigaparts.com/cat_spares/etka/audi/a2/248/971550/

Providing the cap is still tight on the lead with no risk of shorting out, the broken cap ends are only cosmetic Not like HT leads which need all the insulation they can get

Best to remove the glowplugs when the engine is hot as the alloy head will expand more than the stainless plugs and ease the threads a fraction.
Always worth 'working' the threads by slackening 1/4 turn / tightening and repeating the process several times to break down any carbon build up on the tip of the plug. Also use air gun to blow out recess before finally removing the plugs

Cheers Spike

Think both Beru and Bosch is OEM.

Like the advice above; my old glowplugs came easily out, but the new ones were impossible to fit (they got stuck on the way in). Needed to remake the threads. Be careful!

And what about 2.1 ohm result? Is it not so bad and i can leave it and change only the one whitch was 132.7 ohm?

For info, the Audi test procedure shown below does not specify a pass / fail glowplug resistance.
Only for 12v glowplugs - Test NOT suitable for the 90 TDi low voltage versions

Thanks to Weetank2 for raising this critical point

Cheers Spike

Attachments

• A2glowplug.JPG
    A2glowplug.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 522
Last edited:
I believe i have a spare bosch plug for tdi 90 (bought 4 as a pack off ebay) 5 (or was it 6) volt ones, will double check how many i have but can pop it in the post for you if i have a spare.

Useful thread this, thanks.

Does anyone know how you identify whether a TDI 90 requires the 11 volt or the 5 volt variant without opening the bonnet up right now? I enter my reg on Europarts and Car Parts etc and they offer the two variants below.

Thanks for any ideas.

Cheers, Al

Screenshot 2020-01-23 at 14.07.56.png

Back