Golf Now In Sight

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought you all might like to know that my Golf GT PD130 is in sight. It arrived at the dealers this morning, and 30 minutes later I was giving it the once over. The process has almost seemed like a nightmare in many ways, however I was spiritually lifted when I saw the result of choosing a pale grey leather interior. I kid you not this totally transforms the ambience of the interior beyond the norm, because in selecting such a colour it has meant that half the dashboard is grey, and three quarters of the doors are grey (generally black) – thus really lightening up the interior space. I opted for a glass rooflight on the basis of the Golf interior seeming far more claustrophobic than the A2, but on this account it might have been a waste of money when just the lightness in colour transforms everything.

The profile of the heated sports seats looks very nice, and I noticed that the entire handbrake is wrapped in leather which is a bit unusual, but certainly very pleasant on the eye. At one stage I thought they had forgotten to add the rear parking sensors when I could not see any circular indents in the bumper, however they are tiny little things cut into the small black valence which exists below the main bumper.

The dealers forecourt is like a battleground at the moment where in just the last 3 days they have taken delivery of 70 new cars from the factory (mostly Golf’s) – all to mainly go out to their owners on Sunday and Monday (when the new registration starts). Clearly the dealer is about to go into chaos mode, and so I have said I will collect my car later during the week – Wednesday/Thursday. This means that I should be paying the dealer for another weeks rent on the loaned Polo, but they told me to forget about it.

I joked with my wife that when we got the A2 it appeared as though it was the only one on the road, but now it looked as though we were going to get caught up in local traffic jams where every car is a brand new Golf. Obviously they are very popular – even at Tesco’s.

Now of course I start sitting with fingers crossed in the hopes that the future experience will be better than the A2, and the countless frustrating months of letter writing. I really do not wish to make any dealers showroom into my second home.

Its very hard for any A2 owner to graduate to just another small car, but I know Stevo and Roy have done this and are potty about their Golf’s so I hope I end up being the same.

Regards
John Disdale

John,

Glad you can finally get the Golf next week. I'm sure you will be telling us all how superb it is for weeks/months to come. ;)

Seriously though, I sincerely hope it meets all expectations and you and your wife are completely satisfied.

regards,

Kaine

Congrats JD-let's hope this is the start of a wonderful relationship. I look forward to you setting up 'PDI130 Forum'!.

Steve - 1.4SE petrol, 2002, Silver

JD.
I bet you don't get any sleep between now and Wednesday!
I absolutley love my Golf. Yes you are right, you do see a lot of them about but this really doesn't bother me at all.
I think the Grey leather is a good move, my only downside is that all black is a bit, well, black....

Keep me posted.

Roy
Golf GT TDI PD130
and loving it!!!!!

JD

Excellent news - glad it wasn't dropped into the water at Felixstowe or wherever!

I am sure that you will really enjoy it and look forward to hearing how you get on. Grey leather interior great choice.

Can the boot cope with all your Tesco shopping or does it spill over on to the back seats? I am afraid I always end up with 2 or 3 bags on the seat in the A2. Anyways it will look great in the Tesco carpark and I am sure that it will be making its first acquaintence with your local store on Wednesday!

Best of luck.

Jon

jonmerrick-How much shopping do you do?. I take the mother-in-law with me and we still fit everything into the boot-there is a very fine art of laoding though to ensure every inch is used and eggs don't get broken.

Went to Tesco's this morning and a runaway trolley came wizzing past the rear of the A2 and slammed into the Fabia parked next to me-close call for me, and I couldn't see what idiot had let the thing go without checking it was secure. Some people!.

I cannot work out how Jon knows when I will be going to Tesco’s. Its uncanny that he heard the VW transporter coming before it arrived, and I am now wondering if he can walk on water ?

Out of interest I was pleasantly surprised that my car insurance on the Golf PD130 is £280, thus only making it £70 more expensive than the A2. I have however finally decided that I will take out one of these separate “Gap” type insurances as well, where for a single payment of £300 it covers a 3 year period in which if the car is written off or stolen there will be sufficient funds made available to purchase another brand new car (with its extras).

Although the mentioned policy is through a VW dealer, I was also surprised to hear that such a policy could be purchased for a secondhand car as well. In this instance of course money for a new car is out of the question, but the FULL money originally paid is 100% recoverable.

Regards
John Disdale

And well all know what the insurance industry uses for it's car valuations when settling claims-the lowest figure then less 10%!.

I am joking, but in reality the settlement offer is never a realistic value.

Have you tried your insurance broker for Gap insurance?
I bought a 5 year policy for my wife's Honda CRV (£17k car) which cost me about £150 - the Honda dealer quoted me £250.

MartinW - Dolphin Grey 1.4SE

Steve

I go to SAINSBURYS once a week and once only! When you have 3 kids to shop for that's a lot of cake and biscuits. I could take the A6 I suppose but I drive that all week and the A2 is cooler. Plus I feel with the big A6 there is more chance of being hit by one of those w**kers who can't be bothered to put their trolley away.

JD I did try walking on water a couple of times - the boating lake at Southport and some time ago I tried to walk accross the Thames at Windsor to retrieve a mooring rope. Unfortunately, the results were disappointing - but practice makes perfect!

Have a good time Wednesday - and don't forget your Club Card!

Jon

Martin,

I shall have a word with Tesco tomorrow. Perhaps if you purchase a “gap” insurance policy you get another for free.

My own insurance company Churchill do not entertain such policies, although a specific policy offered via VW themselves offers a fully comprehensive cover including the addition of “gap” cover for only one year. This I worked out was about another £100 above the Churchill standard annual premium, however whilst it computes to the same as the VW dealer gap insurance of £300 for 3 years, I reckon the biggest potential loss or difference would apply in years 2 or 3, so having cover during those latter years is pretty important.

Steve of course works for an insurance company, so I would have thought he might have some knowledge of what is available on the street.

Regards
John Disdale

JD-Although I work for a large 'insurance company', the said employer has fingers in many pies, and I'm one of those pies. Investments yes, insurance no!. You'd have better luck asking at Tesco's customer service desk than ask me about insurance!.

I hope you like your Golf John - thought of calling it "Pride of Tesco" or have you a better nick name?

Chivers ':)'
'02 A2 1.4TDi SE

Naming ones car like the “Pride Of Tesco” reminds me of the bygone age when those fabulous steam trains all had grand names. There were such things as the “Castle Class” and I guess in todays age the “Trolley Class” would seem appropriate.

Tesco’s could not help with any “Gap” insurance, but the keen motorist can this week cash in on the pineapple chunks – buy one, get one free. What has proven interesting is that apparently my standard “Churchill” policy will provide sufficient funds to purchase a brand new car (including accessories) if it is stolen and lost forever, or if it is written off within the first 12 months. So that’s pretty good. It also transpires that “her in doors” misunderstand a recent telephone conversation and the additional premium for the Golf above the A2 is only £35. I think that’s marvellous especially when the Golf cost around £2,000 more. Indeed I think a premium of around £250 to cover a car worth £19,000 is a super deal which is impossible to complain about. You really would think that going from 75hp to 130hp (group 6 to group 10) would in itself make a large difference in the insurance premium, but apparently not.

Having seen my VW dealer and a Toyoto dealer crammed to the brim with new cars to be handed out over the weekend (following the new registrations), I thought I would take a look at the forecourt of Whitehouse Audi. I just could not believe that there were only three A2’s hanging around. For the love of me I totally fail to understand why the model is not a lot more popular.

Regards
John Disdale

I don't know why it's not more popular - I guess it has to be down to the perceived value.

Re Gap insurance, you could try my broker - John Webley at HGR Insurance, 01384 390004. You definitely need the policy to cover the full term of the loan. Mine pays out the difference between what the insurance company pay out for the claim and the outstanding finance, up to £10k max (from memory).

Martin,

Thanks for the contact. I spoke with your man, and must say it made a very pleasant change to speak with someone who did not represent one of these sterile “call centres” that are so prevalent these days. It transpired that he could only offer the same sort of policy as your own – that is one which basically protects monies outstanding on any finance deal. This was not what I wanted, and I went on to explain the detail of the VW policy, to which he said it was a very good deal and that I should take it. He then said he would have a phone around to see if he could possibly match the policy, and said if he could do so and knock £50 off then I would I give him the business. Obviously I said I would.

This evening at 6.15 (when most clock watchers have gone home) he telephoned to say that he could help for the previously quoted sum (£250) – so now I await the application form.

For the record the policy will “make up” to £15,000 as a payout on a car with a value no greater than £25,000. This is fine because as a worse scenario if in 3 years time the car gets written off then I imagine my normal fully comprehensive policy will pay out around £10,000 (obviously based upon its secondhand value). This then would require “making up” by another £9,000 in order to purchase another brand new car, and so as can be seen I will never hit the £15,000 maximum marker.

Naturally I hope I never have to claim on any policy, and whilst I am not generally one of these belt & braces type of individuals such a policy I believe has much worth. For sure if my car was written off in 3 years time I just could not put my hand into my pocket and pull out £9,000 to walk back into a dealers showroom for another new car. This way at least I know that if the worst does happen I will not be compelled to go out and purchase a secondhand car for which it’s nigh impossible to evaluate its genuine history.

I think John Webley’s phone number (01384 390004) should be scribbled in everyone’s note book who intends to purchase a new car. Anyway barring a cockup, thanks again.

Regards
John Disdale

Glad to be of help John.

I had a similar worry with an A6 I sold back in march. I bought it on a PCP. At 2 years old there was about £13000 owing on the finance, but the trade-in was about £10,500 - a write-off or theft would have left me out of pocket.

Martin/John

This sounds very much like a policy worth having.

I may have missed something - I presume it is only available re cars purchased on finance?

I.e. if I have paid cash for my new A2 is there any policy I can buy which will replace on a "new for old" basis?

Thanks and regards.

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back