Goodbye A2 hello up!

FSiMan

A2OC Donor
Sadly we've had to say goodbye to our little A2 1.6 Sport though would be interested to see if anyone spots WD03GXY on thier travels?

We'd spent £1200 getting the coils & injectors done last summer then just before Christmas she started coughing when pulling through mid revs (particularly noticeable in 3rd). I suspect this was a fuel starvation issue but my wife lost confidence in her at this point so a replacement was on the cards.

A quick look at possible replacements led us to the VW up which has an awful lot in common with the A2 and we were very lucky to drop on a 12 reg High up with less than 10k on the clock for just over £7.5 k which seemed a bargain. The new car has a long list of extras including Maps &More (sat nav, bluetooth, mp3 streaming etc), heated seats, cruise, sunroof, sports pack, emergency city breaking and free servicing!

We've had the car a few weeks now and initial impressions are that it's a perfect replacement for the A2. It has a similar character, similar drive (both great fun though neither will win any kind of drag race) and build quality (though tbh the A2 had slightly better materials), similar size (both have a surprising amount of internal space for such a small car though, again, the A2 has the edge) and excellent fuel economy (the A2's we had - 1.4 & 1.6 petrols - both got c45mpg whereas the up is returning late 50's!).

Overall a great replacement for those wanting a newer car but not wanting to spend the five figure sum demanded by the A1. For anyone considering a change my only advice would be to look around and be careful with your choice of spec; basic up spec doesn't have a/c or electric windows but a bit of searching and you can find cars with lots of toys to keep you entertained.

By the way, we kept the 17" sport wheels from the A2 (we sold ours with 16" TT wheels) and will be selling them shortly - 2 good wheels and & 2 slightly buckled and only good for rear wheel use - if anyone is interested make me an offer.

Have always liked the up especially the Black or White edition. Looks great with those wheels and the artificial leather seats and great economy to. Are they free road tax ? What is the mpg ?

Overall a great replacement for those wanting a newer car but not wanting to spend the five figure sum demanded by the A1.

Hi,

As someone who has just sold a fully specced A1 to replace it with an A2 I have the following piece of advice.

The A1 is a good car, but it is no A2. No character, felt claustrophobic and didn't seem to be as nippy as the A2 (tdi).

So to me I am now stepping UP to an A2, not DOWN!!!

It is not that the A1 is a bad car, it is just that the A2 is so good.

Steve B

Have to agree that the A2 has something almost akin to a personality and that was a big factor when we bought them. I don't agree with much that the team from Top Gear say but one thing I think they've got spot on is that a really good car is about more than a set of figures and set ideas about how it drives; it's got to have an 'x' factor that makes you really enjoy owning it which the A2 has in spades.

The up has this too. It's tiny engine means driving it isn't about speed but there is a great deal of character to the car that reminds me of the 1.4 A2. We did look at the A1 and it's a lovely car but, in common with many new Audis is a bit soulless IMHO; that we could get a better spec'd up for 2/3rds the price of an A1 helped!

To answer an earlier question the mpg is an easy mid 50's. Some owners report getting up to 70 with a little bit of effort.

Back