Greetings…Newbie Checking In

StuN

Greetings All,

I’m currently looking for an Audi A2 for the wife, having admired the styling and engineering of these cars and the fact they were miles ahead of there time ive been wanting to get one for a while.

I did miss out on a lovely blue 04 plate colour storm edition a month or so ago which I’m a little sad about.

I will use the site to begin with to gather knowledge from all of you good people so I can understand the good, the bad and what to look for what which for me would be priceless when viewing potential purchases. ( I’m certainly no mechanic ? )

The wife and I come from a background of high performance sports cars including RS3, S3 and modified cars so the A2 it’s a little step down BUT we are looking to buying it for a genuine reason ?

If you where to ask what exactly are we looking for I would say 1.6 FSI ( I read these are most problematic and in some opinions not the best of engines but I think the right one should do us proud ) if we could get a colour storm that would be fantastic, not being too greedy parking sensors and sky roof would be nice. A 1 owner lower mileage full service history could be great too. Basically I’m after a unicorn I think ?

Anyways enough of me yapping on, I’m sure your all bored of this post already ? . I’ll be popping on from time to time to post what would be stupid questions so I’ll apologise in advance ?

Enjoy the rest of your long weekend and stay safe.

Stu

Evening Stu,

Welcome to the Club where you will find plenty to read that’ll ensure you’re informed prior to your subsequent purchase. We welcome questions but please do try to search for answers prior to asking as it may we’ll have been asked and answered in the past.

We do have a dedicated Market Forum where members offer A2 specifics from parts to whole cars Please do have a read through the welcome email you just received as there is also some top tips included within that’ll assist you at this early stage in your journey with us.

If you feel that you’d like to see whats currently available from members on the Market pages than you’ll need to upgrade your account. This link here provides an explanation on how to complete the upgrade.

Welcome again.

Kind regards,

Tom

Welcome to the club. I hope you find the right A2 soon.
This one is fairly pricey and not a colour storm, but looks stunning and fits lots of your other requirements (I don't know the car or the place selling it I'm afraid)

Welcome to the club. I hope you find the right A2 soon.
This one is fairly pricey and not a colour storm, but looks stunning and fits lots of your other requirements (I don't know the car or the place selling it I'm afraid)
Thanks Teresa

I’ve got my eye on both Auto trader and eBay but would prefer to grab one from an enthusiast that way you hope they have looked after it and also fixed the quirks ?

Mechanics, getting dirty and I don’t appear in the same sentence ?

What I don’t want ideally is to buy something have have or need a bottomless pocket to get the car up to scratch etc ( if that makes sense )

I’m also a little worried about the FSI issues but need to read more into this when I get time.

Stu

Thanks Teresa

I’ve got my eye on both Auto trader and eBay but would prefer to grab one from an enthusiast that way you hope they have looked after it and also fixed the quirks ?

Mechanics, getting dirty and I don’t appear in the same sentence ?

What I don’t want ideally is to buy something have have or need a bottomless pocket to get the car up to scratch etc ( if that makes sense )

I’m also a little worried about the FSI issues but need to read more into this when I get time.

Stu
I've got an FSi and although I've spent a fair amount of money on her, I do love her. It's worth getting yourself a VCDS if you get one. Very handy for diagnostics and resetting the EML

I've got an FSi and although I've spent a fair amount of money on her, I do love her. It's worth getting yourself a VCDS if you get one. Very handy for diagnostics and resetting the EML
I have a very good friend who is extremely handy with anything cars who I’m sure sees me calling and thinks now what’s broken ?

I have OCD so everything must be right or it plays on my mind quite a bit which means I keep him very busy ?

I’ll look into VCDS there are a few brands out there I guess it’s a case of picking the best one ( or am I barking up the wrong tree here ? )

Stu

Welcome aboard Stu,
Best place to find a car is arguably on here in market place.
Dealers don't really understand these, where as members usually do and will know what they have or haven't done in terms of maintenance.
One of the worst things is previous bodgery.

Good luck and happy hunting.
Regards,
Simon

I have a very good friend who is extremely handy with anything cars who I’m sure sees me calling and thinks now what’s broken ?

I have OCD so everything must be right or it plays on my mind quite a bit which means I keep him very busy ?

I’ll look into VCDS there are a few brands out there I guess it’s a case of picking the best one ( or am I barking up the wrong tree here ? )

Stu
Either get a generic cable and VCDS light;

or buy a genuine Ross-tech cable like this;

No affiliation to either seller.

Stu
VCDS is VAG specific, and because it's been around a long time, it fully supports older models. OBD Eleven is also VAG specific, but as a relatively recent arrival, tends to be aimed at recent and current VAG products than older ones
VCDS also has the advantage that in it's basic form, it is free, requiring a Windows pc (XP to 10), and a clone lead at around £10.
Mac.

Last edited:
The FSI is no different to any other A2, other than in the engine. So most of the things that break or wear out are common across the range of engines.
The FSI engine is the only A2 engine that was new around year 2000. The diesel and the 1.4 petrol engines are old and proven designs.
The FSI was designed to meet the growing demand for low emissions and low fuel consumption. Like Ford, VAG went the lean burn route, maximising thermal efficiency. VAG took this to it's limits with the FSI. The motoring world eventually decided to go the turbo route to the same aims, and the turbo won. The FSI is a good engine, but a complex and sophisticated one. It needs a knowledgeable and sympathetic owner, and it needs to be driven with some spirit, with maximum torque reached at around 4000 rpm it's not for the faint of heart, but rewards the brave with a rocket like pickup above 3000 rpm. VCDS is an essential prerequisite, for owners and mechanics.
To learn more, follow this link to download the full SSP 296 (Audi Self Study Publication for FSI engines)
Mac.
Not everyone will agree, I know, but then, I'm biased.

Last edited:
The FSI is no different to any other A2, other than in the engine. So most of the things that break or wear out are common across the range of engines.
The FSI engine is the only A2 engine that was new around year 2000. The diesel and the 1.4 petrol engines are old and proven designs.
The FSI was designed to meet the growing demand for low emissions and low fuel consumption. Like Ford, VAG went the lean burn route, maximising thermal efficiency. VAG took this to it's limits with the FSI. The motoring world eventually decided to go the turbo route to the same aims, and the turbo won. The FSI is a good engine, but a complex and sophisticated one. It needs a knowledgeable and sympathetic owner, and it needs to be driven with some spirit, with maximum torque reached at around 4000 rpm it's not for the faint of heart, but rewards the brave with a rocket like pickup above 3000 rpm. VCDS is an essential prerequisite, for owners and mechanics.
To learn more, follow this link to download the full SSP 296 (Audi Self Study Publication for FSI engines)
Mac.
Not everyone will agree, I know, but then, I'm biased.
Lots of fountains ok knowledge on here thank you everyone for your posts these are much helpful

Stu

Back