grj Gearbox into an amf

CrispyEdd

United-Kingdom
Hi all,

Will a GRJ box slip straight into an Amf tdi to replace the eqq box?

Anyone done this or think it's a straight swap?

I appreciate the 90 had a seal-spacer for the dmf bot sure if this is relevant for the box though?
Also I know the amf will need a map to 90 to help also.

Thanks

Hi all,

Will a GRJ box slip straight into an Amf tdi to replace the eqq box?

Anyone done this or think it's a straight swap?

I appreciate the 90 had a seal-spacer for the dmf bot sure if this is relevant for the box though?
Also I know the amf will need a map to 90 to help also.

Thanks
The key here will be whether your AMF-based A2 uses the MK20 or MK60 ABS control unit.

If you’ve got the MK60, then installing the GRJ gearbox won’t be an issue. You just need to remove the GRJ’s massive spacer ring that provides the bell-housing depth for the TDI90’s DMF. When coupled to the AMF engine’s SMF, you don’t want that extra depth.

If you’ve got the MK20 ABS, then you’re limited to using gearboxes that have a dedicated speedo drive on the top of the differential housing. I don’t believe this is present on the GRJ gearbox, but you may be able to move the EWQ’s speedo drive across.

If you’re not sure which ABS controller you’ve got, just remove the bonnet and post a photo of the engine bay here, and I’ll tell you.

The AMF engine will always appreciate a remap if driving longer gears, though the GRJ’s ratios are only fractionally longer, so it will cope without the remap.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi guys, as always 100% of questions answered in no time at all!!

This is good news as I have a grj sat here in the garage. I'll take a look tonsee if I have mk60, forgot about speedo drive thing.

Thanks 😊

Hi guys, as always 100% of questions answered in no time at all!!

This is good news as I have a grj sat here in the garage. I'll take a look tonsee if I have mk60, forgot about speedo drive thing.

Thanks 😊
If you have vcds a scan will also tell you which unit is fitted

Back