Hand brake cable replacement - drum brakes - 2003 Tdi

Little Dog

A2OC Donor
European-Union
I have checked the forum and threads on this subject unfortunately don't answer my questions:

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthrea...d-what-to-do-first&highlight=hand+brake+cable

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthrea...rs-side-brake-drum&highlight=hand+brake+cable

Replacement part:

KhohipX.jpg

I have not been able to remove the center console as it is catching on the hand brake:

8Ici0do.jpg

Its as far as it can go forwards:

UqQiBfO.jpg

I suspect I could replace the cable working here without removing the center console or carpets etc:

hxCnapl.jpg

Is this correct?

However I also want to adjust the gear change cables while I have the interior stripped. I this possible with the center console in position? If not do I remove these two nuts to angle the hand brake upwards and remove the console fully?

mGyDpjP.jpg

Thanks.

Thanks Steve that is very useful. My only reservation is removing nuts 1 and 2 with the hand brake still attached:

http://workshop-manuals.com/audi/a2...rake_mechanics/handbrake_lever_exploded_view/

I guess as the manual advises you to do this you remove the nuts, position the hand brake vertically and remove the center console? Do the work on the hand brake cable and gear change cables and reassemble? Anybody done it?

yes, simple undo the two nuts that you have in the picture with the white square around them, lift the handbrake off the studs and remove the centre console
refit the console and then refit the handbrake

however i also want to adjust the gear change cables while i have the interior stripped. I this possible with the center console in position? If not do i remove these two nuts to angle the hand brake upwards and remove the console fully?

Phil,

There's no need to remove the centre console to adjust the gear change cables, they simply need to be locked in place by inserting a pin under the gaiter, then any adjustment is completed in the engine bay, just follow this how-to.

Steve

Having major problems with the handbrake cables at the rear. I thought they were supposed to pull out of the brackets at the handbrake end? Not a chance!

Hammering with a cold chisel failed to budge them a single micron. I then removed the N/S bracket and by holding it in a vice and hitting a drift hard it came out. Rusted solid, wont go back in.

AFpBN4C.jpg

The O/S bracket is secured behind the fuel tank which is full. Can't get a drift in and swing a hammer, can't use heat, can't get to the securing nut.

Suggestions?

Thought about drilling it but the outer cable is some type of though spring steel. couldn't saw it.

Last edited:
I got it; got a long screw driver between the end of the outer cable and the bracket and jimmied it as best I could. Moved it and jimmied again, moved it Jimmied again. Broke the rust bond then with a big hammer and a long drift on the back and a chisel on the front eventually got it.

Calling it a day now (quitting while I'm ahead).

Here's a picture of the problem:

4zR2EwT.jpg

That was the good side. I was so surprised by the state of the cable I mentioned it to my regular MOT tester. He said he can only test what he can see. Not sure that's a valid excuse; worth checking out the next time you are under your A2.

Time to quit while I'll I'm ahead:

YuVxnBk.jpg

Beer time :)

I think its worth mentioning that not only had I had enough having battled to get that front cable guide in place but also the rear cables I bought were not correct. Some suppliers supply these cables as one part number for both sides of the car. On a 75 Tdi the RH cable runs through the pipes around the fuel filter where it is restrained by a metal bracket. At this point the RH cable is reinforced.
Rejected cables being collected today and the correct cables on their way from Crewe Audi. A couple of quid either side more expensive but worth every extra penny.

Last edited:
Not only are the designs different but the outer cables are a different length:

Zhlm56A.jpg

The missing connector is being sorted this minute.

The handbrake on our A2 is pretty terrible so i've often thought about redoing the rear brakes and the cable, but seeing this (ours is a 75 too) i'll inspect and replace if needed..... ;)
totally agree on getting the parts from Audi! you know they'll fit (he says)

The handbrake on our A2 is pretty terrible so i've often thought about redoing the rear brakes and the cable, but seeing this (ours is a 75 too) i'll inspect and replace if needed..... ;)
totally agree on getting the parts from Audi! you know they'll fit (he says)

I had no choice the job had to be done, couldn't even get away with two rear cables.

It's a sod of a job; I haven't really posted the details as I have been working on the engine at the same time. Connecting everything up again takes some contorting and tugging under the car. That's even with the brake drums stripped down and the cables not connected there and the hand brake not connected either.

All that said the hand brake is now much more solid, feels less stretchy.

Back