Hazy Headlight anyone?

Full Volume

Hi All,
I thought I would start this thread as I've not come across anyone with the same problem on the forum. I have just got my new little A2 but the outside of the headlights are hazy. The silver reflectors are fine. I didn't want to swap them but to improve them. It would be wasteful. In years to come these headlights will be valuable!!.
Does anyone have any success stories in dealing with this problem. There are a few You Tube Vids I've watched which involved wet n dry, but I didn't want to wreck the headlights. Also I've heard of horror stories with some solvents melting the plastic/glass ?

There are lots of solutions out there (no pun intended) but the best I have found is wet and dry sand paper of varying grits then a polish up, you will however remove most of the marks with one of the cheaply available kits online just take your time. I believe there was a video of one of the members doing this to his lights, this may be it below.

[video=youtube;KBZXUj-F6-c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBZXUj-F6-c[/video]

did mine with 400, then 800, then 1000, then 3000 wet and dry with lots of water with a little fairy liquid in it. Finished off with metal polish to buff to a glass like finish, then applied a few coats of MUR car polish. Been fine for several months and no hint of a return to the clowdyness

did mine with 400, then 800, then 1000, then 3000 wet and dry with lots of water with a little fairy liquid in it. Finished off with metal polish to buff to a glass like finish, then applied a few coats of MUR car polish. Been fine for several months and no hint of a return to the clowdyness

That's great advice! I will give it a go. I feel it may need some kind of barrier coat to finish it off. I always think of how nice the car looks when it's been washed & it's still wet. Hopefully give its headlights it's sparkle in it eye :)

I do wonder how we will source good quality headlights in the future. Perhaps this is the way forward.

I've got a set in the garage in great condition but I think I may be best keeping them as spares for the future.

I think valeo headlights are still available to buy new Steve but they do vary in price. Amazon sell them from mainland Europe but they are not suitable for our cars.... theirs obviously being for left hand drive vehicles.

Last edited:
Back