Heated Mirrors - Reasonably Priced.

AudA2Numpty

A2OC Donor
Hi All,

Where can I buy heated mirrors that actually fit?
I bought various different aftermarket ones from eBay or Amazon and none fitted at all, the shape was out and I have been through 6 different companies and not one have got the shape right.

I popped into the Audi dealership in Inverness and they wanted £55 each so I of course just left in scorn. But now thinking (as the weather is now about to snow heavily) that I should have bought them.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Reactions: Nye
The simple answer is to keep your eyes peeled here for mirrors from the dismantlers - the above is what originals cost, sadly.

Not only are the cheap ones usually off in terms of shape (or the mounting isn't properly centred on the mirror glass), but also they use cheap adhesive double-sided tape that isn't heat-resistant, so over a few days of use you start seeing vibrations and then the mirror glass pops off partially or completely, usually when you are in motion. The mountings as well are just flat plastic on the back of the mirror ; the Audi originals have a lip that follows the mirror shape all around the edges so they are guaranteed to locate properly. Finally, the electrical contacts are much more robust on original ones ; the cheap ones are thin metal which risks fatigue where they are tacked onto the heating mesh and simply not guaranteed to remain plugged in with the connectors without manipulating these either (I had the same experience as you 2 years ago and just bit the bullet buying Audi new & a second hand set here after the second dud set)

Keep an eye out on the marketplace here, they turn up pretty regularly at around half the price Inverness Audi wanted. I wasn't aware that Audi were still able to sell them new, I certainly would have happily paid £110 for a pair.

Is the wiring etc easy to add?
Mac.

Wiring is in the mirror by default. So you need just remove old mirrors (pops out) and connect heated mirrors. 2 minutes job.

1575531307034.png

Last edited:
My fear with these would be as with my own experience with £10 heated mirrors off Ebay - you are at the mercy of the installer that they have positioned the plastic backing correctly, and secondly that they are using adhesive with the same properties as 3M VHB double-sided tape. If the former is out the mirror isn't centred in the housing and can foul on one or more edges, and cheap double-sided tape tends to suffer from thermal degradation very quickly (mine started vibrating and came adrift after less than a week of heaters-on commuting). Good luck!

I do not have long term experience with the alkar mirrors. I just bought them 6 weeks ago.

The plastic was positioned right on both mirrors. I hope the adhesive will last ... If not, I have 6 month warranty. Enough time to find out.

Last edited:
Back