Heated washer jets retrofit?

dan_b

A2OC Donor
If one were to retrofit the heated washer jets, where do you run the wiring to to power them from for when the temperature drops? I assume they're meant to be connected to the same circuit as the heated wing mirror elements?

Were heated jets ever an option for the A2?
With the location of the jets they are quite well shielded from the elements.
I have been driving in -15c or worse and never had any issues with frozen jets.
Are freezing jets a problem in London?

John

I confess I've been tempted to do this mod just for the hell of it, but I think I've suffered from frozen jets just once...

Yep mine froze up once too. Does anyone know if the wiring happens to be "just there" as it was with the heated mirrors?

The jets might be heated but not the pipes below it, which can still be frozen if the car is left in -0 long enough and that the screenwash isn't concentrated enough. That reminds me, I should empty the summer mix and get those really good Shell blue concentrates (seems to be the same as VAG's screenwash) and fill it.

where do I look to see the code that says if I have the winter pack, and what is the code? I think I may have it as I can see cables going up to the general area of the washers but I have never dismantled it further to see. Thanks. Is there a separate fuse, I can check the handbook tonight but if ones fitted then I guess I have, but my nozzles do freeze some winters???:confused:
Yes they were part of the winter pack that also gave you heated mirrors.

Is there any easy way to identify if the jets are heater?
My car has heated seats and so I guess this should mean that there is the winter pack.
The headlight washers do not have any wiring. Could this be unheated whilst the main screen washers are heated?
I am a bit confused now....

John

To my knowledge, the Winter Pack was just heated washer jets and heated mirrors. Heated seats and headlight washers were separate options.
Dan; unlike heated mirrors, the wiring for heated washer jets is not in place unless the car left the factory with the option.

Tom

Edit: I've just had a look in ElsaWin and can't find the wiring diagrams for either of the Winter Pack options. Has anyone else found this?

Last edited:
I'm in agreeance with Timmus.

The way to check to see if your washer jets are heated is to remove the scuttle panel or at least remove the rubber seal that connects it to the bulkhead and lift it up a little anyway. That should reveal the wiring if it's there.

Similar thing to see if you have the heated side mirrors, just carefully pull the mirror glass itself off-no fixings to undo and you will see if the mirror has the spades and wires (they all have the wiring by the way) connected to them.

Last edited:
while on the subject, are the heated jets still the useless-at-any-road-speed fan sprayer or the much better two large stream type? I'd rather use the effort to change them to the two large stream type.

Edit: I've just had a look in ElsaWin and can't find the wiring diagrams for either of the Winter Pack options. Has anyone else found this?

I found the details for the heated jets, both are fed from fuse 33, details are in the attached files:

Heated Washer Jet Retrofit 1.png

Heated Wsher Jet Retrofit 2.png

Steve

View attachment P9.pdf View attachment P16.pdf

I found the details for the heated jets, both are fed from fuse 33, details are in the attached files.

Steve

Excellent! Thanks Steve; I've now found it in ElsaWin.
Dan; the washer jets are heated as soon as you turn on the ignition. They are in no way tied to the demist button on the CC panel.

Cheers,

Tom

My 1.2 has heated mirrors but unheated jets! Maybe the previous owner upgraded the mirrors?

RAB

Excellent! Thanks Steve; I've now found it in ElsaWin.
Dan; the washer jets are heated as soon as you turn on the ignition. They are in no way tied to the demist button on the CC panel.

Cheers,

Tom

Just the info I was looking for.

Back