Heater only warm?!?

datsundrew

A2OC Donor
A bit more playing about today following yesterdays discovery of the pollen filter retainer fitted the wrong way around and letting the air out, and I have amother problem. as you may have read yesterday I had a good look at the 3 heater flap actuators and all are working well, I assumed that the next time I went for a drive and it was up to temperature ( this morning) that the heater would now work, but it’s still only Luke warm at best. I’ve read a lot about the thermostat and the temperature sender, but I’m not sure it’s that.
the temperature shows 90, the heater pipes into the cabin behind the engine are both hot, so I’m assuming good flow? I removed the double actuators above the glove box and manually moved the hot / cold flap, it moves easily and isn’t sticking at all, but it goes from cold to Luke warm…….am I missing something here?

Last time I had this problem I discovered after a lot of playing around that blowing some air through the air temp sensing vent in the air con panel resolved the issue. It was bungee up with dust and constantly thought it was cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can’t see that it’ll be the flap motor as I removed it so it wasn’t turning the cog for the flap? As said, I manually moved the cog/ flap with my hand and could see it moving in both directions until it stopped and sealed, it’s as if the hot and cold mixes somewhere else, or the heater core is restricted, but as both the feed and return hoses are very hot, it eliminates that idea?

....., it’s as if the hot and cold mixes somewhere else, or the heater core is restricted, but as both the feed and return hoses are very hot, it eliminates that idea?
Not really. If say 80% of the heater matrix is blocked with 20% flow in the part that works then the the flow and return in the engine bay will be hot with much reduced heat in the cabin.

Andy

I’d not thought about a flow over 20%, that actually makes perfect sense! Thanks. The coolant was really horrid and I put a Coolant cleaner in and flushed it…….but didn’t disconnect the heater, so I think I’ll do that sometime and see what comes out. I’m assuming a replacement matrix is a dash out job?

I’d not thought about a flow over 20%, that actually makes perfect sense! Thanks. The coolant was really horrid and I put a Coolant cleaner in and flushed it…….but didn’t disconnect the heater, so I think I’ll do that sometime and see what comes out. I’m assuming a replacement matrix is a dash out job?
Did you resolve this in the end bud?

Back