Hello all!

05special

Hello everyone! New to the forum, and new to A2 ownership.

Bought this earlier in the week, have spent today giving it a good clean. Needs a few bits and bobs, but not in bad shape at all.

Attachments

• PXL_20220109_144042761~2.jpg
    PXL_20220109_144042761~2.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 150
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

A nice looking one there, that has the 15" option 6-spoke wheels which are quite rare in this country. Hope it brings you joy to drive and serves well for many years to come ?

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

A nice looking one there, that has the 15" option 6-spoke wheels which are quite rare in this country. Hope it brings you joy to drive and serves well for many years to come ?
Thanks ?

I did wonder about the wheels, hadn't seen many like that before. Planning to get them refurbished at some point. The car has not had a lot of maintenance in recent years by the looks of things. It was at the point and price where it could have ended up breaking for parts, so I'm glad to have saved it ?

First stop maintenance wise, does it have any record of a cambelt and waterpump in the last 60k / 5 years ? If not, get them done. Also the thermostat and temp sender unit if it doesn't get to 90 degrees on the gauge and stay there (buy OEM ones only for these two). That should keep it going nicely while you bring everything else up to scratch.

Keep an eye on the lower suspension arms which corrode out from the inside on the later cars. Also an ear for rattly noises as of a worn timing chain, which it doesn't have, but would indicate the oil pump/balancer shaft chain behind the timing belt being in need of attention - this can equally lock and damage the engine if it fails.

First stop maintenance wise, does it have any record of a cambelt and waterpump in the last 60k / 5 years ? If not, get them done. Also the thermostat and temp sender unit if it doesn't get to 90 degrees on the gauge and stay there (buy OEM ones only for these two). That should keep it going nicely while you bring everything else up to scratch.

Keep an eye on the lower suspension arms which corrode out from the inside on the later cars. Also an ear for rattly noises as of a worn timing chain, which it doesn't have, but would indicate the oil pump/balancer shaft chain behind the timing belt being in need of attention - this can equally lock and damage the engine if it fails.
Good guess on both! It does not, so I have the belt kit on order. Also the gauge barely moves above 60, so I got a thermostat for it, but figured I'd wait for the cambelt kit to arrive, so I don't drain the coolant twice. Inspected the belt to make sure it doesn't look like failure is imminent, but I plan to change it next weekend. No horrible noises, sounds like a 3 cylinder TDI should ?

Welcome,
You have come to the right place, and the right words of wisdom are already aiming themselves in your direction.

Cambelt, water pump and thermostat replaced this weekend. Belt didn't look old, and had the best quality tensioner and idler, but replaced anyway as it's an unknown. Car now does get to normal operating temp, but takes around 8 miles/ 10-15 mins driving? I'm very familiar with VW tdi's but this is my first 3 cylinder.

Cambelt, water pump and thermostat replaced this weekend. Belt didn't look old, and had the best quality tensioner and idler, but replaced anyway as it's an unknown. Car now does get to normal operating temp, but takes around 8 miles/ 10-15 mins driving? I'm very familiar with VW tdi's but this is my first 3 cylinder.
Job's a good 'un, well done ? The 3-pot PD is very efficient so it doesn't produce much heat. Early A2 TDI's until about a '52 plate had a Webasto diesel aux heater that warmed the coolant in temperatures of 7.5°C or below, helping both the engine and the cabin to warm up. My '02 plate one with Webasto takes about the same length of time as yours to get to 90°, which if anything may be a bit on the slow side for an aux heater, but it's still a lot better than when it doesn't work - I wouldn't want to go back there again! Later cars like yours had an electric element to warm the cabin, but this doesn't do anything much to help the engine, so I reckon you're doing well, 10-15mins sounds spot on to me.

I had a test drive in a TDi 90 at the weekend and noticed that the temp gauge did not even get off the mark after 20mins of driving so I was wandering what was wrong with it !!! I would have expected some movement in that time even from a diesel.

I had a test drive in a TDi 90 at the weekend and noticed that the temp gauge did not even get off the mark after 20mins of driving so I was wandering what was wrong with it !!! I would have expected some movement in that time even from a diesel.
That could be quite normal this time of year to warm up but should move after 20 mins

Back