Hello from Coventry

Azim

I've brought a tdi 90 recently because it seemed like it was a good buy .

With all good buys ,come issues that you to have deal with.
With mine a water pump and timing belt was a priority.
Followed by a full service .
I noticed my temperature gauge wasnt rising above 70 degrees .
So i changed the thermostat.
on hind sight i think the thermostat didn't need changing as a forum member on
the facebook page told me to use the econ button on the climate control to stop the
electric fan from staying on all the time .( i still dont understand the use of the econ button ).
The other issues ive got to deal with is the climate control doesnt give cold air ,
Any clues what could be wrong guys ?.

Also the car seems to be a bit thirsty ,i would guess im getting 40mpg .
The car has had a remap from stealth racing which made 127bhp
Any advice/.guidance on what i might be causing this poor economy ?.

Welcome to the club.

This thread might help you with the climate issue - a known temperamental weakness is sticking flaps. Try cycling hot and cold multiple times to try to free them.

There is a wealth of information on here. Sometimes google is better than the internal search engine. Try entering what issues you have on google and add 'A2OC' before pressing enter to see what that brings up.

Welcome to the club.

This thread might help you with the climate issue - a known temperamental weakness is sticking flaps. Try cycling hot and cold multiple times to try to free them.

There is a wealth of information on here. Sometimes google is better than the internal search engine. Try entering what issues you have on google and add 'A2OC' before pressing enter to see what that brings up.
Thank you for your advice and the welcome .

Id like to solve the economy issue as well ,as i brought this car as a cheap commute to work and back.
Is there any tdi experts in the midlands that i could take my A2 to ?.

WOM Automotive are the go to experts for many, just outside Stoke-on-Trent, so not a million miles from you. Rob and Marcus would look after you.

Check out this link to find your nearest member offering VCDS scanning.

I've brought a tdi 90 recently because it seemed like it was a good buy .

With all good buys ,come issues that you to have deal with.
With mine a water pump and timing belt was a priority.
Followed by a full service .
I noticed my temperature gauge wasnt rising above 70 degrees .
So i changed the thermostat.
on hind sight i think the thermostat didn't need changing as a forum member on
the facebook page told me to use the econ button on the climate control to stop the
electric fan from staying on all the time .( i still dont understand the use of the econ button ).
The other issues ive got to deal with is the climate control doesnt give cold air ,
Any clues what could be wrong guys ?.

Also the car seems to be a bit thirsty ,i would guess im getting 40mpg .
The car has had a remap from stealth racing which made 127bhp
Any advice/.guidance on what i might be causing this poor economy ?.
40mpg with 127hp is not that bad.
The Econ button is explained in the manual, like many other things so take your time to read it later, basically it's an energy and petrol saving function for heating.
Econ OFF: set cabin temperature comes on very quickly, but it uses more fuel.
Econ ON: set cabin temperature comes on later, it uses the heat as the engine warms up, but it saves fuel.

Welcome to the club.

Thank you for the advice on the climate control
The repeated operation between heat and cold has done the job .
I feel I need to regas the cooling system .

40mpg with 127hp is not that bad.
The Econ button is explained in the manual, like many other things so take your time to read it later, basically it's an energy and petrol saving function for heating.
Econ OFF: set cabin temperature comes on very quickly, but it uses more fuel.
Econ ON: set cabin temperature comes on later, it uses the heat as the engine warms up, but it saves fuel.
I believe after remapping , it should also improve the fuel efficiency as well as the power .
I was told by the previous owner that it was mapped for both power and fuel efficiency

One more question .
Can I replace my ecu for a standard tdi 90 ?.
Will it work as a straight swap .?.

I believe after remapping , it should also improve the fuel efficiency as well as the power .
I was told by the previous owner that it was mapped for both power and fuel efficiency
Can I replace my ecu for a standard tdi 90 ?.
Will it work as a straight swap .?.

Speak to Stealth Racing. You're lucky, they're pretty much on your doorstep. They're real experts when it comes to the A2.

They'll know what you should be getting from that remap, and what the options are going forward.

My TDI90 is looked after by DS Motorsport in Shilton just down the road from Coventry. Take it to them - ask for Dan and tell him Dave recommended you go there and he will ensure you’re looked after.

Stealth remapped mine and the printout came to 116bhp - I’m not sure what has been done to get yours to 127 but I would certainly call Vince at Stealth and ask if the map alone could be the issue with your fuel economy - although I think you may have other issues causing that.

You were right to change the thermostat, the ECON button just turns the AC off so that isn’t your problem with warming up. Has the thermostat now fixed the problem? If not, I bet you did not use a genuine Audi thermostat? I ask as pattern / aftermarket thermostats and engine sensors (unless Bosch in the case of the latter) are without exception a false economy and you’ll need to change it again if so. Best to change the temperature sender unit on the block at the same time if so.

Search for the “50mpg from a TDI90” thread for further information.

Speak to Stealth Racing. You're lucky, they're pretty much on your doorstep. They're real experts when it comes to the A2.

They'll know what you should be getting from that remap, and what the options are going forward.

I spoke to Stealth racing this morning .
They said that the car would have been mapped to give a mix of the best power to best fuel .

He advised me if the cam belt had been changed to have a look at the cam belt sync and check if that has been set right ..

I'm going to a local vw wizard called Daz this afternoon .

I visited Daz this afternoon .
He checked out the readings for the cam shaft sync .
He said the reading is fine at minus 2.80 .

Where do I go from here ?.

1. Change the coolant temperature sensor for a genuine or bosch unit.
2. check the back brakes aren't binding at all.
3. Change the fuel filter if it wasn't changed on the last service.
4. Ease off with the right foot i.e adapt your driving style.

There are further mechanical reasons why the mpg can be lower than expected (aged turbo, headgasket failing so poor compression) but check the basics above first.

1. Change the coolant temperature sensor for a genuine or bosch unit.
2. check the back brakes aren't binding at all.
3. Change the fuel filter if it wasn't changed on the last service.
4. Ease off with the right foot i.e adapt your driving style.

There are further mechanical reasons why the mpg can be lower than expected (aged turbo, headgasket failing so poor compression) but check the basics above first.
The coolant temp sensor was changed by the previous owner about a year ago ..
The back brakes are not binding ..
The fuel filter was not changed and is at this moment in my boot ..
I drive 20 miles to and from work each day at no more than 60 mph ..
My wheels are 17 inch .

I would go further and say perform a diesel purge before changing the filter - Even if this isn't your main issue it will definitely improve your fuel economy if it's not been done for a while.

This is after changing the thermostat for a genuine one and then following the above advice.

*EDIT* - HERE is the thread I referenced above - have a good read, it's all there.

I would go further and say perform a diesel purge before changing the filter

This is after changing the thermostat for a genuine one and then following the above advice.
I think I followed all of the advice so far .
Thermostat was changed over the week end with a Gates thermostat .
Diesel filter still needs to be changed though.

Back