Information Hello from Germany

Smartrek

Good morning all,

I'm a new member here from Germany and glad to be here. My English might not be the best, but I think it will work for most things - well, I will definitely fail at technical terms, engine parts and so on :D My best friend's girlfriend is from Manchester, so I got the chance to improve my english skills a bit over the past few months and it may get better :D But I'm even more impressed how well she learned the German language which isn't so easy because that language is so stupid in some ways :D

My Audi A2 is the 1.4 petrol (BBY) version in silver color.storm with the OpenSkySystem and I put wheels from an Audi A1 on it. It was built in June 2005 (registration date was 12.12.2005), so it's one of the last A2.

A2_210303_2.jpeg

A2_210724_1.jpeg

Regards
Smartrek

Last edited:
Good morning all,

I'm a new member here from Germany and glad to be here. My English might not be the best, but I think it will work for most things - well, I will definitely fail at technical terms, engine parts and so on :D My best friend's girlfriend is from Manchaster, so I got the chance to improve my english skills a bit over the past few months and it may get better :D But I'm even more impressed how well she learned the German language which isn't so easy because that language is so stupid in some ways :D

My Audi A2 is a the 1.4 petrol (BBY) version in silver color.storm with the OpenSkySystem and I put wheels from an Audi A1 on it.

A2_210303_2.jpeg

A2_210724_1.jpeg

Regards
Smartrek
Guten Morgen and welcome to the Forum.
Your English is very good; much better than the language and spelling used by a lot of people here.
The silver Colour Storm is quite rare in the UK. Yours looks great.
My son lives in Mannheim, where he studied at the University and married his German wife. He is quite fluent in the German language, having learned it as part of the process of becoming a German citizen. His explanation of its structure did sound as though it's very challenging.
I'm sure that others will be along to welcome you and your can be assured that you will find lots of help here if you need anything.
Enjoy your time here.
Jeff

The very few silver storms that came to the UK were generally fitted with blue storm seats....not sure if we had an option.🤔

The silver storms are rare in Germany as well (perhaps not as rare as in the UK) - I have only seen one of them in real life at all (well, plus mine of course).
It's very interesting that you perhaps did not have the option the choose the color of the seats. Mine was ordered like that, so the seats have always been red. I really need to check what was possible to order in case of the seat colors with the silver storm in Germany.

Last edited:
(...) They look FANTASTIC on an A2
Thank you, I thougt the same. They don't really look good on the A1, but on the A2 they are quite nice in my opinion :)

(...) although these look to have been renovated to be all the same colour, although it's hard to tell from the photo (...)
You're right, by default they are two tone (Parts-No. 8XA601025C). Mine were coated with a quite bright glossy silver.

Last edited:
Welcome, a lovely looking A2. I really like what you've done with the wheels, they suit the futuristic styling of the A2.

Good morning all,

I'm a new member here from Germany and glad to be here. My English might not be the best, but I think it will work for most things - well, I will definitely fail at technical terms, engine parts and so on :D My best friend's girlfriend is from Manchester, so I got the chance to improve my english skills a bit over the past few months and it may get better :D But I'm even more impressed how well she learned the German language which isn't so easy because that language is so stupid in some ways :D

My Audi A2 is the 1.4 petrol (BBY) version in silver color.storm with the OpenSkySystem and I put wheels from an Audi A1 on it. It was built in June 2005 (registration date was 12.12.2005), so it's one of the last A2.

A2_210303_2.jpeg

A2_210724_1.jpeg

Regards
Smartrek

Hallo, Smartrek & welcometo the A2 UK world !!
Your car looks great & obviously has some additions to personalise it.

I'm not a million Kilometers ! from you, here in Luxembourg, but have to say, I tend to go south, not north, too often, so don't really know your corner of the Bundesrepublik too well. I went to Hockenheim this last weekend & only saw 2 x A2's in 6 hours of driving there & back ; they are quite rare, even in their homeland. Strangely, there are at least 3 in my small town here, plus my own & we cross paths frequently.
I'm sure you will find this club very helpful on anything A2 related, so enjoy it !!

All the best.
MartinH

Anyone else just created a saved search on eBay for 8XA601025C ? :)

Saw those alloys or similar in the mega alloy thread and was smitten then, now I have the part number :)

Lovely car, lots of nice little touches / details all over the place. The gear stick, the steering wheel, arm rest, etc.

The black lower trim on the outside 'lowers' it visually too.

Anyone else just created a saved search on eBay for 8XA601025C ? :)

Saw those alloys or similar in the mega alloy thread and was smitten then, now I have the part number :)

Lovely car, lots of nice little touches / details all over the place. The gear stick, the steering wheel, arm rest, etc.

The black lower trim on the outside 'lowers' it visually too.
I reckon a set of these could convince me to part with my A8 Winterfelgen’s. I think with some or the visual changes I’ve planned for Tonka these might actually work better. But then I’m not sure I could call the car Tonka anymore 🤷

Wilkommen! Your A2 is very fetching. :)
Your post did make me wonder, what are the differences between the AUA and BBY engines?
Google didn't offer much information on that side, sadly.

Not the full list by far but most obvious is the AUA has an electronic distributor and the BBY has separate coil packs on each spark plug.

@BearMcPear now we run into the problems I've mentioned at the beginning: Me explaining technical things in English :D @audifan has already written about the difference you will notice instantly when looking at the engine. There are a few more, but they are all not so big: AUA has a fuel rail made of metal, the connections at the fuel rail a a little different, the oil separator is a bit different, AUA has no check valve on the camshaft cover.
The BBY is just the newer version of the 1.4 petrol engine (introduced 2003 I think), but the differences are not so big at all. If your BBY breaks down you can replace it with an AUA and the other way round.

HERE you can find most differences with pictures and so on - but this page is in German.

Back